24 December 2004

On the Air

A couple of days ago I was talking about listening to Dr. Laura Schlessinger, and I said that I'd post my thoughts on talk radio, as I listen to quite a bit of it. I'll try to be at least nominally comprehensive, but if I haven't listened to someone, I'll admit it openly. I'll link to a few.

* Jim Bohannon - Known as the "militant moderate", "Jimbo" tends to have a lot of people on his show that I wouldn't invite on mine. That's a good thing, though. He's friendly and energetic, and he's the only radio talk show how I know of who's a veteran.
* Sean Hannity - To be quite honest, I don't much care for Sean Hannity. He tends to be a bit of a bully when he's in debates, he's loud, and he doesn't listen when other people talk. I share at least most of his views, but he tends to paint things with a broad brush. Seldom do I hear a caller who actually disagrees with him. I tend to listen to Hannity as seldom as possible.
* Hugh Hewitt - I've never listened to Hugh Hewitt's show.
* Laura Ingraham - I've never listened to Laura Ingraham's show.
* Lars Larson - I like Lars for a lot of reasons. He's very conservative, and he applies a lot of common sense to the commentary on his show. He has a decent mix of people who agree with him and people who disagree with him.
* Rush Limbaugh - I've not had much opportunity to listen to Rush. I haven't tended to enjoy his show, though I tend to agree with him on a lot of issues. He strikes me as somewhat arrogant, and I don't like that because I think it turns the opposition off to the message that talk radio is trying to get across.
* Michael Medved - Medved is my favorite host, and I listen to him whenever I'm able, even to the point of taking compact discs to the computer laboratory at school, but listening to him instead. He emphasizes disagreement on his show, and that's all struck me as very valuable; when two people disagree, and actually discuss the reasons why they disagree, they make better arguments and there's a greater degree of discourse on the issues. When there's more information floating around, everyone wins. He's a veritable encyclopedia of internatinal history and politics, particularly American and Middle Eastern (he happens to be Jewish). If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend his show.
* Bill O'Reilly - I don't much care for Bill O'Reilly. He's certainly one of the louder talk show hosts out there, and I don't feel like I've learned anything or gained any perspective after I've listened to him.
* Dennis Praeger - I've never listened to Dennis Praeger's show.
* Michael Savage - I don't listen to Michael Savage. I most likely agree with him on a lot of things, but he strikes me as just another cocky, crass loud mouth who yells down anyone who dares to disagree with him. That doesn't help anyone.
* Laura Schlessinger - Dr. Laura needs to calm down, as far as I'm concerned. I agree with her morality, from what little I've heard, but she doesn't convince anyone with the attitude. I dislike her for the same reason that I dislike Dr. Phil: chewing people out only makes them feel bad, it doesn't serve much purpose beyond that. If someone won't listen to you when you're being friendly, they're very unlikely to take your advice if you insult them.

That's what I think. Take it or leave it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home