03 January 2005

Creation, Evolution, and The Fly

The Daily Telegraph, one of the United Kingdom's most popular comic books, reports on America's newest spectacle, the Museum of Creation.

With its towering dinosaurs and a model of the Grand Canyon, America's newest tourist attraction might look like the ideal destination for fans of the film Jurassic Park.

The new multi-million-dollar Museum of Creation, which will open this spring in Kentucky, will, however, be aimed not at film buffs, but at the growing ranks of fundamentalist Christians in the United States.

It aims to promote the view that man was created in his present shape by God, as the Bible states, rather than by a Darwinian process of evolution, as scientists insist.

What's the Fly's take on this? Well, I'd consider myself to be a fundamentalist Christian in some ways. In a lot of ways, really. I take a great deal of the Bible literally, and even though I'm intensely flawed, I try to live my life by the moral code set forth in the Bible as consistently as I possibly can.

I happen to believe that life, the universe, and everything were created as described in the first couple of chapters of Genesis, which is to say that I believe that those two chapters of Genesis are at least an allegorical description of how everything was created. I think God has the power to create the world in exactly the way the Bible describes.

In my opinion, it's possible that the first two chapters of Genesis aren't literal, but that they describe the beginning of everything as a sort of allegory or non-literal summary.

Either way, God has the power to carry it all out in whatever way he wants, and whatever he does will leave scientific evidence, though not necessarily enough evidence to piece every detail together, or even most details. It makes more sense to me for an all-powerful Supreme God to point a finger and bam, fo'gettaboutit, it's done, as opposed to going to all the trouble of engineering "evolution" or any number of other processes that pseudo-scientists claim fit their theoretical models.

These things having been said... Who cares!?. I believe that God created life, the universe, and everything. How He did it makes very little difference to me, and it doesn't have much bearing on how I view Biblical creationist models or secular evolution models. To any legitimate researcher, Darwinian evolution has enough problems and inconsistencies on its own.

If these folks want their Creation museum, and do it professionally and responsibly, instead of turning it into a preachy, campy crap-fest, that's fine by me. And if secularists want to continue their biased research to try to prove their humanistic, pseudo-scientific cosmological theories of the Big Bang and Darwinian evolution, they can go right ahead.

As for me? In one way or another, Genesis 1 and 2 describes how life, the universe, and everything came into being, and that's good enough for me.

Link via Jacob Oost over at Right Thinking.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Mercer said...

Great post! if you get a chance and want an additional perspective check out www.kjvbible.org . Adding your blog to my favs.

Jack

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home