25 February 2005

An Update on Diversity

Okay, so you all probably remember (yeah, right) a couple of weeks ago when I was writing a term paper at the last minute in my diversity class. I've mentioned before that I don't think that I should be required to take a diversity course (or if I haven't, I meant to), but you play the hand you're dealt.

Anyway, I put in a chit Friday with the registrar to change my grading status to pass/fail grading, because I seriously thought that I was going to bomb the paper. I've avoided picking it up at the end of class because, let's face it, there's nothing I can do about it now, so why wade through a mob of students trying to pick up their papers when I really couldn't care less?

Anyway, I finally picked the bloody thing up today, and I'll be damned if I didn't get ninety percent on it. I might have been able to do better if I'd been at all interested in it; for what it's worth, there have been a few interesting things in the class, but mostly it's been an overkill on redundant reading and some discussion of how Asian people reacted to oppression by evil white men; not exactly my cup of tea. Ironically enough, I got more "nonsensical... made up gibberish" out of my Poli Sci class last Winter Term than I've gotten out of this one, though there have been the mentions of manufactured nonsense like "white privilege" through the course of the term.

I'll probably consider over the weekend whether or not to appeal to change back to standard grading; I doubt I'll do it, but considering that I've only once taken a course pass/fail, and that was a course that I ended up failing on that system because of the incompetence of the professor, it's worth thinking about. Besides, I'm chock full of attendance points, and apparently haven't done any worse on the quiz grades than anyone else (apparently I'm not the only one who doesn't have time to do forty to sixty pages of reading every two days for a two-hundred level course outside my major), so maybe there's an outside chance that I'd actually ace it. Imagine that, a fascist, capitalist, white, Christian, Republican, upper middle class male like myself, acing a diversity class.

The irony of the whole thing? When I told her that I wouldn't might not have S/U'd it if I'd known I was going to do so well, and that I'd really been expecting a C- or something, her response was a chuckle and "It's a two-hundred level course." Odd that that would be reflected in my grade, and not in the insane amount of reading that's assigned.

Oh well. It's a piece of good news to supplement my (expectedly) grueling day. Anyway, my original plan had been to stay on campus tonight and finish this stupid paper, but the soonest I'll be able to turn it in is tomorrow morning anyway, so instead I'm going to check the news, post anything of interest, and then head home. When I get there, I'll have something to eat, do some of the reading I need to do to write this bloody paper I've been too busy to do, and then go to bed early (like, 20:00) so that I can get up early tomorrow and come write at the lab.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

Congrats on the grade. I would have totally bombed it I'm sure. :o)

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home