26 April 2005

A Brief Update

well, we got the Matriarch laid to rest, and I accidentally confused her successor, my great-great aunt, just enough to get me worried as to whether or not she's starting to lose it. I sort of doubt it, as she's been very sharp when I've seen her frequently in the past couple of weeks. I think she was born in about 1910, and with last year's death of their younger brother, who was only in his late seventies, and last week's death of the Matriarch, and the additional deaths of their cadre of cousins over the past few years, the new Matriarch is the last surviving member of that generation. I expect her to live for quite a while longer; she's ninety-four, and when she dies, most of the history of two generations will die with her. I've tried to learn and chronicle as much of it as I possibly could, but even this historian can only do so much.

Tonight I went to a lecture on campus, presented by a club that I helped to re-found in 2002 and was president of last year. Even though I've had no involvement with the club this year due to differences with my successor, Professor Benstein, who spearheaded the whole thing, told me that he credited me with getting the ball rolling since he'd mentioned it to me and I'd shown a lot of interest in it all. Without giving too much information, the speaker is a high profile veteran from World War II who was portrayed in a television program several years ago. It's a bit disconcerting to know that the successor, who I don't always get along with, was somehow able to pull off what I never could, at least not with that club. On the other hand, it's reassuring to know that my two years of hard work just keeping the club running put them on a stable enough footing to allow them to put on something of this scope. Basically, they packed to beyond capacity the biggest lecture hall on campus. My overall contribution to tonight's success was minimal, and happened nearly a year ago, but it's still nice to know that it probably wouldn't have happened without me.

The only other major news I have to report this evening before I turn in is that from 2230 to 2300, I watched an early episode of The Cosby Show. I was impressed. I wasn't impressed by the episode itself; I was impressed by how much better it got than that early episode.

I'm off to bed, wankers. I promise to post some news tomorrow. Keep discussing Star Trek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home