18 April 2005

Simpsonian Inequalities

It's no secret that The Simpsons has endured a slow decline over the last four or five years, though they'll have some gold every now and again. It seems like the strangest question I've ever come up with, but... Did anyone else notice that The Simpsons didn't suck last night? It was a little over the top in places, of course. For example, Vice President Cletus? And I quote:

You want me to attend the funeral of the Sull-tan of Brunei? Well, I will consider it my honor. HEY! Brandine! Pack my even-in' brit-ches! We's goin' to Bru-nei!

Overall, I really enjoyed it, which has become an increasing rarity. Of course, there were the disadvantages. Once again, it wasn't funny for a nuanced political or social commentary, though it was there; once again, the writers were forced to leave Springfield (in this case, going to Springfield of the future) in order to give our favorite family a funny situation.

To be honest with you all, I think it would be a big advantage to the show if they converted to something like South Park. South Park gives absolutely biting social and political commentary, and many episodes of South Park deal with very recent events. The writers on The Simpsons have really been reaching lately, and it would do them well to reformat the show so that they can keep things in Springfield more often.

YVAN EHT NIOJ. Thus Saith the Fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home