23 July 2005

Fly By Night... Friday Night

After work I'm headed to College City to see The Island with a friend. Medved gave it a great review (three and a half out of four stars) today on his show, and confirmed what I've been saying for more than a month about this film: it's a pro-life film, and not just regarding abortion. It brings up serious and legitimate questions about the implications of such controversial issues as embryonic stem cell research and cloning, particularly therapeutic cloning.

In comments to this post, my good friend Michelle left the following:

The Island doesn't look impressive at all - again, another remake. I guess I mainly say that because in the past Michael Bay has directed crap movies (i.e. Armageddon and Pearl Harbor) and so I guess it's safe for me to believe this will be a ridiculously over-acted sap-fest too. It's kind of like if Quentin Tarantino made a new movie that looked remotely cool w/a nice cast. Still doesn't change the fact that he's a crappy director (and a stinky liberal to top it off).

I'm not sure whether Michelle, who I generally agree with, is saying that it's another remake because she thinks that Michael Bay's films are all formulaic, or that she thinks it won't be impressive because Michael Bay directed it. As far as I can tell, it's not a remake of a previous film, nor do I know of any book that it's based on.

Medved had his unfriendly comments about Armageddon and Pearl Harbor today, but said that not only is this Michael Bay's best film to date, but that the plot is strong, and that it makes sense, even with a series of surprise plot twists. I don't always agree with Medved's reviews, but I do tend to respect him as a reviewer (far more than I respect that lardass Roger Ebert, who gave one of my favorite films, Gladiator, a horrible review back in 2000). And I also have to keep in mind that even though Armageddon was way over the top, and even though Pearl Harbor absolutely sucked, they were both solidly patriotic films; even Armageddon, which had an overall message of global cooperation (not unlike Independence Day), had a lot of really motivating footage of the American military, NASA, and a bunch of child and adult characters who were fiercely proud of this American achievement of saving the world. I wonder if Michael Bay might not have some conservative leanings, beyond the token garbage fed to us by "patriotic Americans" like Michael Moore, Barbara Streisand, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Sean Penn, and the rest of the lunatics in the Film Actors Guild.

I can agree that Michael Bay absolutely deserved the Team America song lyrics that derided him for the craptacular crap fest that was Pearl Harbor. Even so, I'm really stoked to see this movie, and can't wait to review it for you folks.

Until then, I leave you with the greatest advice I've ever received: Be excellent to each other.

Thus saith the Fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home