25 August 2005

Lance Armstrong to French Newspaper: You're Wankers!

I've gotta say, what Lance has to say makes a lot more sense than the French statements. I'll skip to the important parts.

He went on to lambaste L'Equipe and question the science and ethics of the suburban Paris laboratory that stored frozen samples from the 1999 tour, tested them only last year and leaked the results used in the newspaper's report.

[...]

"I actually spoke to him for about 30 minutes and he didn't say any of that stuff to me personally," Armstrong said. "But to say that I've 'fooled' the fans is preposterous. I've been doing this a long time. We have not just one year of only 'B' samples; we have seven years of 'A' and 'B' samples. They've all been negative."

Armstrong questioned the validity of testing samples frozen six years ago, how those samples were handled since, and how he could be expected to defend himself when the only confirming evidence — the 'A' sample used for the 1999 tests — no longer existed.

He also charged officials at the suburban Paris lab with violating World Anti-Doping Agency code for failing to safeguard the anonymity of any remaining 'B' samples it had.

"It doesn't surprise me at all that they have samples. Clearly they've tested all of my samples since then to the highest degree. But when I gave those samples," he said, referring to 1999, "there was not EPO in those samples. I guarantee that."

Basically, it takes both the A and B samples to prove that someone is on this particular performance-enhancing drug. This company has stored Armstrong's samples now for seven years (Who keeps urine for seven years!? Honestly!), they don't have the samples necessary to prove their claim, and thy're testing samples that have most likely "gone bad" in the last seven years. Not only that, but the testing agency broke the rules by releasing any information in the first place.

I have to tell you, Lance Armstrong's looking a lot more credible in my eyes than his French accusers are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home