10 September 2005

Thankful All Year Long

We Americans, by law, designate a day each November to give thanks to God (or, in the case of godless atheist hippies, some false god like Lenin or Molech or Baal or Chairman Fidel) for the good things in our lives, even if those good things are few. At this point in time, I have basically pissed away a week of my life being distracted by a girl who wound up having a preexisting attachment; I had a really nasty incident to deal with at work that I can't ethically discuss here; I didn't run, I didn't write, I didn't read, and I think I completed a total of two Bible chapters, all week.

I used to have a friend who, if she was sending me actual pictures of herself (which I'm beginning to doubt, but whatever), was pretty hot. At one point, she took to E-Mailing a list, every day, to all her friends, including me, of ten things she was thankful for. These tended to turn into news items about her life, or things she was hopeful about, rather than things she was actually grateful about. She called them "Grat Lists". I'm not going to pick up her habit, but seeing as how this hasn't been a terribly exceptional week, I'm going to show that I'm still appreciative of what I have by listing five things that, right now, at this moment, I'm grateful for.

1. I am thankful for being able to end my week with Battlestar Galactica.
2. I am thankful that my cousins have closure about their mother.
3. I am thankful that the Spin Doctors are releasing a new album on Tuesday.
4. I am thankful that I've finally found a source so that I can listen to Macphisto's phone calls, even if I'm a day late and a buck short.
5. I am thankful that my initial worries about gas prices and supplies were incorrect (and hopeful that I can still say that in December).

I could go on. In fact, I think I will.

6. I'm thankful, extremely thankful, for friends like The Wife, M@, Michelle, April, Anachronism, Super Dave, Miss Manda, Mr. and Mrs. Rampage... Even Sara, who can heckle me with the best of 'em.
7. I'm thankful that my dad cares about me and my life, even when he pisses me off in the process.
8. I'm thankful that guys younger than or the same age as me are willing to sacrifice their time, their safety, and their immediate plans to keep me, the people I care about, and our precious way of life safe; and I hope that, sooner rather than later, I get an opportunity to do my part.
9. I'm thankful that, even when I'm frustrated at striking out with a pretty girl, I can still laugh it off, shrug it off, and remember with a smile that I'm dog faced, dumb as a sack of hammers, and charming as hell (and that's a perfect combination).
10. I'm thankful for pain of the City of Profane Darkness, because without that pain the overwhelming beauty of the City of Blinding Lights.

If you so desire, tell me what you're thankful for. Either put it in the comments, or post it on your own blog and post the link instead. And to paraphrase the Pontiff: "Thanks for comin'; thanks for paying your, y'know, hard earned [time] out on [this little] show, thanks a lot. Thanks for givin' [me] a great life."

Thanks, folks. More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home