16 November 2005

Tactically Loaded

Part of my goal for today is to spend some time cleaning out my room. I don't know when or where I'm moving yet, but I know that it's coming, and it's better to be prepared ahead of time. By tactically staging things in my room, I can quickly move them when it comes time to load up a truck or a U-Haul or whatever. The hangup, of course, becomes what to keep, and what to preemptively unload. There are a few items in particular that I'm considering getting rid of.

For example, during an outing with April a few years ago, I picked up my very own didgeridoo from a little shop in Metropolis. On the one hand, displayed correctly it could nicely compliment my little Africanesque statuette and my carved Hawaiian mask. On the other hand, I am a white guy whose ethnic background is German, English, Scottish, and Irish, and a didgeridoo is a four-foot-long wooden tube that serves as a musical instrument for indigenous Australians. So far, I'm unconvinced whether I should ditch it, sell it, or keep it and maybe even try to learn how to play the thing correctly. For the record, me dancing is kind of like sticking a fork in the microwave, it's like sparks and a lot of pain; the amount of coordination required to successfully implement circular breathing in order to play a didgeridoo. Decisions, decisions.

I also have one of those little electric globes, that you turn on and it shoots lightning from a central ball out to the clear plastic globe. I wanted one my entire chldhood, and I finally got one, again around 2003; that must have been my year for impulse purchases. Does it stay, or does it go? I haven't the foggiest idea; I know for a fact, though, that I'm keeping the two lava lamps, because women love lava lamps. Right?

I'll certainly be able to throw away enough paper to have saved at least one tree; as far as I'm concerned, though, that tree had it coming. My bulletin board, which may or may not accompany me (they're dork, but highly versatile), will endure extensive cleaning. The pictures from the scavenger hunt from the cruise I took with my family in 1998? Gone like a bad habit. The old [Generic University] athletic event tickets that predate my presence at that institution? Toast. The hologram that came with my video copy of Independence Day that depicts the White House being destroyed? Saved until a Democratic victory... Or maybe trashed.

Then there are practical items that will be difficult to toss out, if it's possible at all. The machete; the entrenching tool; the dashboard hula girl (that could go with the aforementioned Hawaiian mask) that won't fit on my dashboard. Practical, tactical, maybe worth saving; unlike the crummy Bushnell telescope my folks bought me when I was in high school. That thing couldn't stay solid on its tripod without three rolls of duct tape and a cubic foot of super glue. Also, half of the lenses don't work. If I ever get really serious about astronomy, it will be worth investing in a piece of equipment that wasn't doomed to near-complete failure the minute it was pulled from its box.

And the posters! Right now I have five actual posters on my walls, only one of which will make it in the move. I also have some promotional flats for various albums that I haven't torn down in years; anyone coming into my room would think that I'm a fan of Sarah McLachlan, and that I own the soundtrack to Cruel Intentions. Ahhh, 2000, the year I did the majority of the decoration on this room. That's right, folks. Say it with me. Repeat after Hank Hill: "That boy ain't right."

On a brighter note, at some point today I'll have a picture of the puppy scanned. Since he's small, and doesn't yet retain much heat, he has a tendency to come up to people in order to get shelter and share warmth. Last night when I was taking care of something for him, he wanted to do this, so I grabbed a towel, wrapped him up in that, and held him in my arms while he slept for about fifteen minutes. I'm still not out of my month-long funk yet (four weeks today, actually), but that helped. And like I said, when I was stopping the world and melting with you, it's getting better, day by day.

Is this enough stream of Fly consciousness for you? Oh, by the way, I was thinking of changing the reader at the top of the page from "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here... " to "Asalaamu alaikum, wankers!" Any opinions on that one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home