01 January 2006

The Next Read

So, as I've mentioned, I'm trying to figure out what book I should read next. One of my resolutions for 2006, which I'll post about later, is to read two books per month: one for professional development, and one for recreation. I've got a few ideas.

Since I want to be an intelligence analyst, books about the recent history, the culture, and politics of the Middle East and South Asia are at the top of the list. Also legitimate are history books, though they have to be reasonably academic in order to be acceptable. Here are some of the books that I'm considering as my choice for professional development for January.

  • Night Moves: Inside Wartime Afghanistan by Rob Schultheis (predates 9/11)
  • Hizb'ullah: Politics and Religion by Amal Saad-Ghorayeb
  • Shadow War by Richard Miniter
  • The Sword and the Shield by Christopher Andrew and Vasili Mitrokhin
  • MI6 by Stephen Dorril

    Then there are the books that are on the agenda purely for my enjoyment. Here are a few of the options.

  • The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
  • Confessions by Augustine
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
  • The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

    There are, of course, other options, but these are the ones that I'm leaning toward. Any input any of you have is welcome. I'll probably post a decision by the end of the day, because the clock is ticking, and I want to get to work.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home