10 March 2006

The Epic of Bo Pi: Chapter V

Drosophilus
1 I have come for you, my beloved; I have gathered spices and precious items to please you. I have delighted in milk and honey, wine and fine meat, that I might have the strength to proclaim your wonder.

Friends
Eat, friends, and drink; drink your fill, lovers.

Bo Pi
2 Although I slept, my heart labored. Beware! Drosophilus rouses me: "Make yourself vulnerable to me, flawless and brilliant Bo Pi. I am restless for you, with the dampness of sweat on my brow."
3 I have retired for the evening; must I awake? I have washed myself; must I labor once more?
4 Drosophilus came to me, patient and true, unfailing in his devotion; my soul yearns for him, though I fear it.
5 I remained cautious, though I arose to hear Drosophilus' praise; for I require that he show unyielding dedication to my cause, desiring only to please me and proclaim his adoration.
6 Drosophilus left, and I looked darkly at his departure. I searched, but could not locate Drosophilus. When I called, I heard no answer.
7 I sought him, but his disappearance was inexplicable. My rivals sought him out, and tempted him, attempting to draw him from me.
8 I seek help from you, maidens; for Drosophilus has not yet completed his part in the covenant he promised, and I require that his duty be fulfilled, and he issue proclamations and shout of my greatness from the tallest tower, from the highest hill.

Friends
9 How are you better than others, most beautiful of women? Tell us of your wonder; tell us of the words of Drosophilus, given in unyielding and steadfast praise of you.

Bo Pi
10 Drosophilus proclaims without end, "She is brilliant, fair, and worthy of all adoration; outstanding is Bo Pi, greater than ten thousand maidens in her midst."
11 My head is fairest brown, the color of shining sand; my hair is more beautiful than that of any other.
12 Drosophilus says, "Her eyes are finer than all of the gems of the world, mounted like jewels and shining like diamonds in a crown."
13 My cheeks fair, with the slightest touch of red when Drosophilus' proclamations of adoration meet my soft ears. My lips are like a scarlet ribbon.
14 Drosophilus says, "Her arms are soft and tender. Her body is like polished ivory, adorned with fine silk."
15 My legs are soft and flawless, pillars of marble. I am more beautiful than a desert spring, a greater creation than the mountains.
16 Drosophilus says, "Her mouth is sweetness itself; she is adorable, without fail, without question. Bo Pi is my beloved, most treasured of all the maidens for her wonder. Truly, she moves in mysterious ways, and I am capivated at a single word uttered from her lips," says Drosophilus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home