20 March 2006

Literary Conundrum

This afternoon at work, I finished reading Bono in Conversation. I've moved on to The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis, which I started a couple of months ago and never followed through on; I read the first chapter, after reading the brief interview with Autumn Reeser in this month's issue of Maxim.

Seeing as how I have eleven days left in March, I'd very much like to get back on track with reading two books per month. I'm conflicted as to what I'll try next, assuming I'm able to knock out that Lewis book quickly. On my sojourn to the Lone Star State, I started two books: The Lord of the Flies by William Golding, and Globalized Islam by Olivier Roy. I got about a third of the way into the former, but I have found myself completely unable to maintain an interest. I got about seventy pages into Roy, and should really pick it back up, but it has two major disadvantages: it's translated from French to English, making it extremely tedious to read; and I disagree with Roy's reasoning and basic premise.

Since both the Bono book, and the Lewis book, would count as leisure reading, I should lean toward resuming Roy; after all, the goal is to read one for leisure, and one for professional development. Of course, I could always just take a couple of days and finish FM 100-5: Operations; that would technically count as professional development.

Then again, I could always say "Sod it!" and just read Josephus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home