03 August 2006

The Art of Saving Money

I promise that Thus Saith the Fly is not going to go "domestic". I am still, by my very nature, an intelligence analyst and warfare expert. However, this whole "living on my own, without a safety net" thing fascinates me, so there are various topics that are worth discussing.

A while ago I saw an article entitled 10 Easy Ways to Save $500 or More. I have become a bit of an expert in saving money, so naturally I was curious.

  • Drive less.

    When I can, I avoid driving. Unfortunately, I commute about eighty miles every day, so there's only so much limitation I can put on myself.

  • Bring your own stimulant.

    I don't touch coffee, and I'm certainly not addicted to multiple cups of it every day. On occasion I'll take a cup of tea to work, so I do this one; however, it's sort of like smoking, where you save the most money by not getting involved in the first place.

  • Conserve energy.

    I do this as much as I can. The article talks about raising your thermostat by a few degrees in the summer and lowering it by a few degrees in the winter; I don't run my air conditioner at all in my flat (which shocks most people). In fact, I go so far as to unplug unnecessary items when they're not in use. This goes beyond turning the television or computer off; I actually unplug any and all items that don't need to be plugged into the wall, because anything that's plugged into a wall draws electricity. When I'm not here, it's not uncommon for two lamps, the microwave, the refrigerator, the main phone base (I have two, only one of which actually plugs into a phone jack), and the computer power strip to be the only things plugged in. As a result of my outstanding conservation, I haven't had a single phone bill that exceeded twenty dollars.

  • Dig gardening.

    I don't have anywhere to grow a garden; I live in a one bedroom flat in the desert. It's remotely possible that I might try to grow a Bonsai tree at some point, but that's it.

  • Go small or pet-free.

    I can't really have pets. I'm considering getting an ant farm, but beyond that I don't really have the time, space, or resources to have pets. When I can, though, someday I'll have a big dog. So, for the time being I'm doing this one, but eventually I'll let it fall by the wayside.

  • Don't flush money down the commode.

    I don't really feel the need to skimp on things like paper towels. There are some things that I don't mind buying generic, and there are some things that I prefer to buy name brand.

  • Limit media.

    I don't have cable or satellite service. Simple. Even so, these things are a luxury anyway; so if you ask me, it's a bit alarmist to cut something like this down in an effort to save money. When it comes to this, people should get what they want/what they can use, and be cofortable paying for it. I'll agree, however, that buying your television on DVD is a great way to go; you can watch it over and over again, and only pay the one-time price.

  • Sign up for tax-advantaged plans at work.

    Okay?

  • Eat in.

    Sometimes you just want a greasy cheeseburger, or some sweet and sour chicken that's loaded with MSG. I'm all for limiting the frequency of restaurant visits, but avoiding them altogether is a little bit over the top if you ask me.

  • Don't bank on it.

    I don't have any credit cards, and the only debt I have, other than to my parents, is for my vehicle. Everything in my place that didn't come with the place is mine, and I live within my means.

    So, what about you folks? What are some of the ways that you go about saving money?
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home