06 November 2006

The Consummate Hardass

Tomorrow will be a long day, and it'll start early, so this will be a quick post. I spent the day out in the field, and the way I filled the down times made it a good day.

At Father Time's urging a few weeks ago, I purchased an analog Grundig Mini 100 PE Portable AM/FM Shortwave Radio. Today I picked up Radio Australia, some Arabic station (if I'd had some forewarning, I would have written down when they gave their call letters and then translated it out and looked it up); and, in the most disturbing part of my day, I picked up "Oops, I Did it Again" by Britney Spears, broadcast thousands of miles to the middle of the Mojave by some Chinese station (I'm guessing it was Chinese). Fascinating, I assure you; in fact, I recommend a similar radio to anyone who spends a lot of time out in the wilderness, because it's a great way to stay entertained. And, for the record, I heard "Saddam Hussein" on a number of the non-English-speaking stations I picked up, probably relating to his recent death sentencing.

I also played around with my Garmin eTrex and figured a few features out. My breakfast consisted of an MRE beef enchilada and leftover Hamburger Helper Cheesy Italian Shells; my lunch was the rest of the Hamburger Helper and MRE cherry blueberry cobbler (which wasn't half bad). Maybe I'll try working on that MRE tea project again soon. I only wish that I'd had a camp chair and my spotting scope out there; aside from that, the day was simply outstanding.

It'll be another busy week, but I'll keep posting Fly Reports, and I'll make a concerted effort to get at least one news post typed up and posted. Now, though, it's time to shave (first time in about a week, I think?) and get to bed... And regular readers know what I mean by "bed".

Sweet merciful glaven, I am the consummate hardass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home