31 May 2007

Super Fly News Junkie

I have returned from Hometown, which is the Shire to the Mojave's Mordor. As usual, there are a few things worth noting.

Tuesday, while I was doing my scripture reading, I came across a particularly interesting scripture that, as far as I'm concerned, would be a great motto for my chosen profession. Micah 7:5 reads:

Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with her who lies in your embrace be careful of your words.

If you ask me, it's every bit as catchy as "Regnum Defende", the motto of the United Kingdom's MI5.

* * *


There are a few of news stories worth posting. First, a conference held in Malaysia has acknowledged that the Islamic world of today is characterized by "poverty, conflict, and extremism". The conference encouraged Muslim nations to take steps to reform.

Meanwhile, in Libya, BP has announced that it will return to Libya after an absence of more than thirty years. BP will help Libya to take advantage of previously untapped energy resources. This news comes as Prime Minister Tony Blair was making a final trip to Libya as the British PM, touting Libya's complete transformation since 2003.

And finally, Russia has tested a new ICBM (AP, BBC, AFP) that is allegedly capable of overcoming the American ballistic missile defense system.

* * *


I've spent a noticeable amount of money on my shortwave radio habit lately. While I was home, I purchased two shortwave radios: an Etón GS350DL (a Grundig radio with an Etón label on it) and a Grundig FR200. I also bought a copy of Passport to World Band Radio 2007, the best-selling annual shortwave guide. It's already been a great asset in figuring out a couple of stations I had tuned in.

I've tuned in a couple of elusive stations in the last couple of days. Last night I picked up Radio New Zealand National (I'd only ever gotten the International program, once, in February) and Radio Taiwan International for the first time. I also think that I picked up my first numbers station yesterday morning; it was a station with a woman reading off numbers continuously, it sounded automated, and it was in Spanish, which leads me to believe that it could have been a Cuban numbers station.

What I really want to know, though, is why I get involved in cool hobbies about twenty or thirty years after they've gone out of vogue.

* * *


I've avoided the Ipod craze for several years now. One thing that's making me reconsider is a desire to download and listen to podcasts, possibly in the car, possibly in the field. I also anticipate that someday I may be commuting to work on buses or a tube system, so I might enjoy downloading the BBC Newshour or World Today program and listening to it on the commute.

Now, this would require me to get a computer that's newer than nine years old, and that may be in the pipeline. I'd resist getting an actual Ipod, as they restrict you to listening to stuff from Itunes (not that I'm against Itunes, but I like having options). For those of you who use MP3 players, any suggestions? Also, do any of you know any cool programs that would be worth listening to?

* * *


Right then, time to keep moving. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home