06 August 2007

Fly Remarks

Okay, so I've been in Virginia for almost three weeks, and done almost no blogging (save for Fly Reports). Here are a few things worth ranting about, Bane style.

* * *

Having been reminded by my friend Jake, I went to Target yesterday and purchased my very own copy of 300. Even though I remembered that it was awesome, I'd forgotten just how awesome it is. Despite being somewhat inaccurate, this film does better to capture the spirit of those ancient Spartan warriors than most historians could ever hope.

Interestingly enough, the traitor Theron looks remarkably like the Geico caveman.

It's also spawned any number of hilarious parodies on YouTube. One, for example, combines 300 with the hit television comedy The Office to get The 305. Another great parody that's too good to miss is LisaNova does 300; I think she's some sort of YouTube celebrity or something. My favorite, though, is simply titled "300 Trailer - Best Parody EVER", and you can watch it below.


Now that's comedy.

* * *

For those of you who didn't catch the hilarity of today's Fly Report, you can check out her post on the subject. For the record, I thought her post (particularly the picture) was delightful, and I actually think it's very fitting... And not redneck at all, though it's pretty entertaining.

* * *

I've finally written half of my article on the declining pacifism of Japan and Germany. Thanks to my old buddy, Shamrock, I've stumbled into a regular writing gig. It's unpaid, but it's a good opportunity to get exposure doing journalistic and analytical writing. I won't reveal the spot on the blog due to my long-standing policy of anonymity, but I'll continue to post my articles here as well. The first half should be posted by the end of the week, and the second half some time next week.

* * *

Twice today, I've heard John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change". Now, I think John Mayer is a very talented musician; I've actually seen him in concert (stop laughing, Father Time), and I thought his performance on Chappelle's Show was absolutely hilarious. I can't, however, get onboard with the lyrics of this song. "Now we see everything that's going wrong with the world and those who lead it"? "One day our generation is gonna rule the population"?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a bad idea to pay attention to the political and philosophical musings of a thirty year-old college dropout who dated Jessica Simpson? As for his generation ruling the population... Well, let me put it this way: President Clinton pretty much ruined John Mayer's chances of having any political power in the future, because Clinton's legacy will do nothing to encourage the political ambitions of middle-aged blues musicians.

I'm also curious why so many women adore John Mayer. He looks like a slob to me. I've had two girlfriends who absolutely loved him; I'll admit, he's got some good music, but I honestly don't see what the attraction is. I guess that means that it's me that's waiting... For the women of my generation to come to their senses. Oh, and for pizza, sometimes.

* * *

I swear, by the courage of brave King Leonidas, that I will post my highly sought-after Stuff Fly Wants list tomorrow. Until then, it's off to Starbucks to do some reading and writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home