13 February 2008

The Wednesday Brick

I slept like a Brick last night. Not like Brick Tamland; like a real brick! After that short night yesterday, it was nice to get caught up.

Couple of things. First off, I saw this article about maintaining heart health on MSN this morning, and I'm happy to report that I'm about halfway there. I don't take aspirin daily, I don't have regular physical contact with women, and I'm not married (yet); I also don't eat much tuna (though I can start) and I don't have a dog (yet). There's a history of roundness on my dad's side of the family, and he's worked hard for years to avoid the multiple heart attacks my granddad suffered from. I may as well start early, right?

Last night it was "too close to call" when I went to bed, but Senator McCain swept Governor Huckabee last night in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington DC. I'm not sure whether Governor Huckabee will drop out or not, but it's obvious that both he and Governor Romney will be players in the Republican Party for a long time, and that's probably a good thing.

Okay, a couple of YouTube videos, and then I have things to get done. And Mighty Mo, you'd better keep your mouth shut on this one! Okay, out of sheer boredom a few weeks ago, I decided to look up a couple of music videos from when I was in high school; movies that happen to have featured the boy band NSYNC. Okay, here's what was apparently their first video. Now, here's their video from their next album a couple of years later. So, what does the Fly's analytical mind pick up on?

  • Look at the difference in Dancing With the Stars player Joey Fatone between the two videos. Aside from the facial hair, he looks like he put on about fifty pounds between the shooting stages of the two videos. (Just for clarification, Fatone is in a white shirt/yellow jacket in the first video, red pants and black shirt in the second.) He went from looking like he was about seventeen and rail-thin to looking about forty. Crazy.
  • Note in both videos how little screen time Lance Bass gets. We all know now that Justin Timberlake is the fan-favorite, as evidenced by the fact that we never stop hearing about him and who he's produced a song or an album with, who he's nailing, et cetera. According to the Wiki entry, Bass barely made the group since he couldn't dance. This begs the question: how could he have become openly gay now if he couldn't dance then?

    Wow. Did I just write up a post that was half about a boy band? That's going to sting if anyone leaves comments.

    Okay, one more interesting link. Long-time readers will know that I'm in the long and drawn out process of learning Arabic. Yesterday, as I was looking up the Basmala, I came across another Wiki page listing Christian terms in Arabic. I know that Friar Dave, at the very least, will probably take a bit of interest having studied linguistics (mainly Latin) extensively. Many people figure that every last Arab is also Muslim, but there are Arab Christian communities in Egypt (intermixed with the "Copts", a phrase with both ethnic and religious connotations) and Iraq (intermixed with Chaldeans, Roman Catholic descendants of the Assyrians), among other places. Give it a look if you have even a passing interest in linguistics or cultural comparison.

    Right then, time for a nice hot shower. Be safe, folks.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home