14 March 2008

Green Glowing Leprechauns

This weekend precedes Saint Patrick's Day, which is one of my two favorite religious holidays. Folk like me use it as a chance to celebrate the impact of the Irish, and particularly Saint Patrick, on Christianity in particular and Western civilization in general. Other folks use it as an excuse to destroy their livers. I'll have more about Saint Patrick on Monday, but in the meantime, it's my pleasure to rebroadcast two videos that Mighty Mo posted last spring: the Mobile Alabama Leprechaun, and the remix. As Saint Patrick's Day approaches, these videos should entertain and enlighten you. Remember, folks: assuming none of the people in the video are felons, they're all eligible voters. If that doesn't make Saint Patrick's Day seem more like All Hallow's Eve, I don't know what will.





I've gotten a number of things done this week, which is a great feeling. I've been meaning to synchronize my clocks/watches for at least a month (I like to do it every three weeks or so), and Daylight Saving Time (one of many big shams foisted on us by Congress) proved to be the right motivation. I also re-secured my wireless router, and I think there was some more. I need to make some Arabic flash cards - a ton of them, actually, because in addition to this list, and this list, I found this database; and those don't even include all of the vocabulary words from my actual Arabic course that need to be incorporated. This could take a while.

When I was a kid, we went on a lot of road trips, and I remember driving through Washington and seeing federal reservations out the window. I also remember reading news articles about the decommissioning and demolition of the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant in Oregon. Here's the satellite map of TNPP, complete with... Disc golf course? I didn't see that one coming. At any rate, When TNPP (not to be confused with the SNPP, also in Oregon) was decommissioned, the reactor was wrapped in this purple plastic stuff and shipped by boat to the Hanford Nuclear Reservation for disposal. You can see satellite imagery of it here.

I've posted about my love of black tea with milk and sugar on a number of occasions. Well, as it turns out, English Breakfast Tea acts to counteract anthrax, but only if it's black tea. This leaves me, your friendly neighborhood Super Fly, less likely to die of a mail- or terrorism-related biological attack. Suck it, green tea!

Right then, time to go save the world - and as you'll see from the third line of the Fly Report, it needs saving. Between that and the asinine Daylight Saving Time extension, Congress has really been screwing up lately - I'll give Senator Reid and Speaker Pelosi credit for having taken less than a year and a half to damage America's economy. Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, as you go forth today, I implore you: go for the gold, but remember that this is a figurative statement, so it shouldn't be necessary to rent a backhoe or uproot any trees in the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home