25 April 2008

The Fly vs. Father Time Episode I: Senator McCain

Here at TSTF, we try to appease and humor the elderly, and Father Time is no exception. During my recent visit to Hometown, Father Time once again challenged me to a duel of wits, but simultaneously asked me to go easy on him since he's poorly armed. I received this E-Mail from him.

Right! The Straight Talk Express. As soon as I hear something that sounds like a firm position, I'll sit up and take notice. (Notable exception - Iraq.) Roe vs Wade? Huh? Is he or isn't he. His voting record is right up there with Strom Thurmond on that issue. Is he for Bush's tax cuts or not? He voted against them but now says he's in favor of retaining them. Gun control or not? After Columbine he was for it; after Virginia Tech he feels gun control isn't necessary. Sen. James Webb has a bill pending that would provide fund education for veterans. McCain says he hasn't had time to examine it closely. Funny that Obama and Clinton have had time and support it. Ya, I know. Old Democrat Donkeys "tax and spend" right? But jeeze, this is for veterans? The same people he supports being in Iraq.

Enough for now Senor Fly. I'll rip on Obama and Clinton in a day or two.

First thing's first: enough with the "Senor Fly" line. If I wanted to be called something in Spanish, I'd herd together a bunch of Cub Scouts and take over a Central American country so that I could be called "El Presidente Conquistadoro Mosca", or something of that sort. (As I've pointed out to Father Time's daughter, "Latin America" is a fantasy, as Central America has nothing to do with the Latin language or the Latin people, both of which were Italian.)

As far as the issues go, I'll address them in quick succession.

Roe vs Wade? Huh? Is he or isn't he. His voting record is right up there with Strom Thurmond on that issue.

You'll have to cite specifics. It's my understanding that Senator McCain has vehemently opposed abortion for his entire Congressional tenure. If you can cite specifics, I'll reevaluate my defense of him on this issue. It's worth pointing out, however, that many Republicans take issue not only with so-called "abortion rights", but also with the way that Roe v. Wade was introduced: as a judicial decision, not as legislation. If there's an apparent inconsistency in Senator McCain's record, that factor might be worth investigating.

Is he for Bush's tax cuts or not? He voted against them but now says he's in favor of retaining them.

Senator McCain was initially opposed to President Bush's tax cuts, but this is often taken out of context by his opponents. If you'll search through the record, you'll find that Senator McCain didn't think the tax cuts went far enough. He opposed them because they were not coupled with corresponding spending cuts. He favors retaining them because they didn't prove to be as problematic as he initially thought they would, but I think that we can all agree, even bleeding heart liberals, that our economy would be in much better shape at the moment if the tax cuts had been coupled with cuts in government spending. That's how you balance a national budget.

Gun control or not? After Columbine he was for it; after Virginia Tech he feels gun control isn't necessary.

If you'll give me some citations or links, Father Time, I'll be more than happy to seek them out and do a bit of research. All I've heard thus far from my side of things is some sort of nebulous charge by Senator McCain's opponents that he favors gun control, without any real evidence to support it - sort of like the claims that he supports amnesty for illegal aliens, even though I've seen no evidence to back this claim up.

Sen. James Webb has a bill pending that would provide fund education for veterans. McCain says he hasn't had time to examine it closely. Funny that Obama and Clinton have had time and support it. Ya, I know. Old Democrat Donkeys "tax and spend" right?

I see no conflict here. Senator McCain's allies and enemies both acknowledge that he's a man of integrity, and the worst accusation I've ever seen leveled at him was that he used to call Vietnamese people derogatory terms. On the other hand, Senator Obama has been extremely ambiguous and inconsistent about a number of issues, including his enigmatic relationship with his pastor; and apparently Senator Clinton was fired at by Bosnian snipers in Tusla, even though it never happened. My point is not to level criticism at Senators Obama and Clinton, as much as it is to say that Senator McCain has a better record for honestly communicating his positions and philosophy than his opponents.

But jeeze, this is for veterans? The same people he supports being in Iraq.

I wouldn't presume to speak on behalf of Senator McCain. However, based on what I know about him, my guess would be that his position on this issue is that, rather than building up more government bureaucracy in order to promote programs for veterans' education, he'd rather lower their tax burden and implement cuts in wasteful government spending that would enable veterans to pay for higher education on their own, without having to rely on government. Fair? If not, I'd be more than happy to discuss this item, too.

The ball is back in your court, revered Father.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home