15 April 2008

Not a Cow

First thing's first: behold, the Fly and Peter (formerly known as "Sneaky Pete").

A few nights ago, I was hanging out at a tavern with the Artista, Surfer Dude, and Big Orange (the latter two of whom are husband and wife). Big O still keeps her iPod Touch in the box that it came in, and the Artista somehow finagled the box away from her. She said the following things to myself and the Artista, who happened to be sitting on the same side of the table.

To the Artista: "Give me the box. It's my box."

To the Fly: "You can only post this on your blog if you give me the box."

This reminded me of a video from about a year and a half ago, completely unrelated to Big Orange but having to do with the Justin Timberlake "Junk in a Box" video from SNL. I thought that I'd share it with all of you as your daily video.



Hilarious... For the most part. Today's satellite image is the Suka al Bakaraha, or Bakaraha Market, in Mogadishu, Somalia. This site was central to the Battle of Mogadishu, detailed in the book Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden and the 2001 film by Ridley Scott. I had originally thought that "Bakaraha" was derivative of al Baqara (بقرة), which is Arabic for "cow"; but Wikipedia, the infallible, authoritative, and undisputed source of all knowledge, says that it derives from the Somali word for "grain" or "silo". So, there you have it.

Okay, folks, time for your friendly neighborhood Super Fly to get rolling for the day. Be of good cheer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home