26 April 2008

Galactica Musings

I've spent last night and most of today treating myself. Between Denver, Hometown, and catching up, I haven't spent much time relaxed and stationary in my digs in a while. So how am I treating myself, and why? Battlestar Galactica series three. I started off last night with the last disc of series 2.5, just for the sake of continuity, and I'm on the downward spiral of the third disk of series three at the moment. Here are a few observations.

First thing's first: there's a Galactica Wiki. The wiki covers both the original (terrible) late 1970's series and the re-imagined series that's presided over by Ronald D. Moore. It joins Memory Alpha, the Wookieepedia, and the Babylon Project. I should have been a bit more careful, though, because I accidentally uncovered some spoilers - I'm not sure whether they pertain to the third series or the fourth, but I'm going to be more careful from now on. Even so, it's been great to see some content and remember some of the moments from the last couple of seasons.

It's worth noting that this third series is something I've been waiting on for two years now. Long-time readers will remember that as of this writing, it's been two years and one week since I left Hometown for Zoo Station, in California's Mojave Desert. I left Hometown mere weeks after the conclusion of series two. It took them quite a while to finally release the second half of series two on DVD. Given that I didn't have cable at Zoo Station, and that I left my television set there when I moved to Van Dieman's Station, I hadn't seen any of these episodes until this morning. Thank God for DVD players, eh?

Speaking of time frames, it's worth noting that the re-imagined series by Ronald D. Moore has already lasted longer than the original series and the ill-fated "Galactica 1980" disaster combined.

From time to time, I've noted one of my Father Time-inspired hobbies: shortwave radio. As I believe I've noted before, I'm the proud owner of a Grundig FR200. I was pleasantly surprised to see an FR200 featured in the second series finale, Lay Down Your Burdens Part II.

Good stuff, good stuff. I look forward to watching more, and I'll probably spend a good part of today and a bit of tomorrow watching the remaining volumes of the third series before heading back to work on Monday. As frustrating as things are these days, it's a good distraction.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the Grundig FR200 has made several appearances on BSG in previous seasons. I know my beloved windup radio when I see it!

The last few episodes of season three were so boring. Bring back the cylons!

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home