01 May 2008

Time to Decorate - Fly Style!

Hey folks! Well, as anyone who's read this blog for a long time will know, the Fly is the consummate bachelor. How is this evidenced? One example is that a quick glance at the bedroom of my one bedroom flat would lead one to believe that I was a victim of the recent tornadoes in Suffolk, while a look at my refrigerator would reveal a perfectly organized beer supply. In reality, I just never really finished moving in. Now, I'm not positive that I'm even staying in this flat once my lease is up in July - for reasons I won't go into - but that's nearly three months away. When my buddy Laud was here at the end of October, I bought a Wal Mart futon. I never had any trouble with the Wal Mart futon I bought for Zoo Station, but this worthless piece of crap is pathetic, broken, and I think it's gonna go. A couple of weeks ago, Butt Rubber showed up with a used futon formerly owned by the father of Olive Oil and Disc Golf Wife (who are sisters), but I'm not sure what its destiny will be in the long run.

The point? It's time to strategically acquire a couple of pieces of furniture. At the moment, I have an XChair by Green Eggs and Hammocks; a Lovesac and a perfect bachelor coffee table from the Crypto King and family when they left town (which I intend to pay him the agreed-upon price for, hopefully soon); an untrustworthy stool from Target, purchased when I first arrived from Zoo Station; and a dining room set on extended loan from my gracious and outstanding boss. I intend to keep most of that, although one or both of the futons will disappear. So, what are my plans?

I want to get 1) a Bentwood Chair ($79.99) from Target to replace a similar chair that went back to Hometown with my folks when I left Zoo Station last year; and 2) a papasan chair and ottoman (roughly $150) from Pier 1 Imports, also to replace the tired set I left behind at Zoo Station. I may or may not go the extra mile and substitute a bentwood chair with a matching ottoman ($179.99) for that first item. That would give me, and potential guests, a variety of comfortable seating options, all of them featuring a "feet-up" option. Furthermore, chairs and ottomans are far easier to move within any given metropolitan area, or in a PODS-style shipping container, than a busted up futon.

For Christmas, my parents gave me a gift card to Cabela's so that I could get something we used at work in my old job: an Outfitter XL Cot ($99.99). I've been meaning to order it for ages, and I'm going to try to get that accomplished by the end of the week, though there are no guarantees. At some point, maybe in a nice one or two bedroom rental house (inshallah), I'd like to get a Pawleys Island tri-beam hammock stand and quilted beach hammock... And a filing cabinet and a book case, though I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

If I get ambitious this weekend, which is possible, I fully envision ordering the cot and the bentwood chair, picking up the papasan chair and ottoman, and clearing out at least one futon. Although I have an article due this weekend, I ought to be able to get everything done if I can keep myself motivated. And this is to say nothing of putting up posters... But I'll leave that for Friday.

Also, just to put you folks on notice, a Tactical Decision Game warning order is coming soon. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home