06 August 2008

Wednesday? You're kidding, right?

Tuesday was slightly entertaining. Also, it was quite long. Thus, this will be a short post.

Yesterday morning I saw the following article: Why Generation Y is Broke. Um... Because they're idiots? I think that I'm supposedly considered part of this "Y Generation", and I've never overdrawn my checking account - not once. The only credit I've ever had is my vehicle, which I pay for in full and on time each month. Do I have lots of fancy things? No. Do I have a credit card? No. Do I purchase everything on the Stuff Fly Wants list and drive myself broke? No. I don't know what my generation's problem is. One thing that the article got right was the level of financial education that my generation receives: very little. I had a great econ teacher in high school, but that was focused more on how the economy works, and less on personal finance. Oh, I was forced to read all sorts of horrible "literature", and I had to take advanced math classes, but was I taught to balance a checkbook? No. Was I taught about how credit works? No. If they want young people to be more responsible with their finances, they - and by "they", I really mean parents - might do well to actually teach their kids something every now and again. My parents didn't teach me a lot about money, but they taught me the simplest and most important concept: with a few prominent exceptions, you don't buy anything with money you don't have. Pretty simple.

Remember this article from last year? Well, since I wrote the article, I've collected a handful of articles, to include one today. The first four are articles about the MEK and their legal status in Europe. The last one is about a journalist who's been executed by Iran for alleged ties to Jundallah.

  • 05th May: Analysis: Is MEK still a terrorist group?
  • 07th May: UK's 'terror' ban appeal denied
  • 24th June: Iranian group in UK terror win
  • 28th June: Iran exiles back armed opposition
  • 05th August: Iran executes journalist over 'links to militant group'

    Today's satellite image is Yokosuka naval base on the Japanese island of Honshu.

    Today's video is another edition of NewsBusted, not because it's political, but because I think it's funny.



    Alright, that's it for today. I didn't get the opportunity to ask Sam-Wise about that article, so maybe I'll post that on Friday or something. Come on by tomorrow for election coverage on Politics Thursday. Until then, keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars. Wait, that's the worst catch phrase ever. Um... I love rock and roll? Yeah, there we go.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home