07 September 2008

Rainy Day Cleanup

Hey folks! I hope everyone had a great Saturday. Mine wound up being slightly productive, though I still have a lot to do. Now that I have some furniture, and since I'm planning to be here for a while, I decided last week to actually set my place up as if someone actually lived here. I've made a lot of progress, mainly last Sunday and Monday and then again today. I figured I'd post a few pictures to show everyone how things look. I should have taken "before" and "after" pictures, but just rest assured that I've gone from the "Less Organized than a Frat House" look, to the "Semi-Classy Bachelor" look.

Here's the living room, which is arguably the spot in which the most progress has been made. I've been sleeping in the living room since I arrived, and will probably sleep in here for a few more days. It's amazing the amount of space that can be reclaimed when the Outfitter XL Cot isn't set up. You can see my papasan chair, my Green Eggs and Hammocks XChair, and a coffee table and LoveSac that I inherited from the Crypto King. The layout of this room may change a bit, but the point is that it's much more tidy than it was this morning. It's basically to the point where I can have company over for beer, or even food or something.

This is the dining room, as evidenced by the second-hand dining room table that my boss let me borrow when I arrived and she learned that I had no furniture, at all. (Picture that living room above with nothing but a couple of boxes and a sleeping bag on the floor.) I tend to let things pile up, so I had to clear all sorts of crap off the table. I'll work on it a bit more, but the dining area is close to being ready. You can see that there's a dry erase board on the wall to the left, and I want to figure out how to get it hung up so that I can use it for various things - most notably, Arabic stuff. If I can minimize what's on the table, eventually I might even be able to invite other folks over for dinner or cards or something. Awesome!

And here's the kitchen. To be honest, the kitchen doesn't change much, although I finally did some dishes a few days ago that were way overdue. I'd like to get a few more things off of the counter, both the high counter and the low counter, but for the most part the kitchen very nearly maintains itself.

The big challenges are going to be the bedroom and the walk-in closet. The walk-in closet seems to absorb a lot of the miscellaneous crap that I don't want to organize or put anywhere else, so I could see myself taking two or three hours just organizing it. I brought a lot of stuff with me from Zoo Station that really could have been shredded and dumped, and I wish I'd had the time and resources to do so. So, since I don't want to have to haul all of that stuff again, I'll try to go through all of it in the next week or so, destroy and bin the stuff that I don't need, and consolidate and organize the stuff that I do. The main problem in the bedroom is all of my clothes and clean laundry. Last week, I organized all of the clean stuff into piles. My task now, when I decide to make it happen, is to hang up the things that need to be hung up, and fold and organize the rest. Even if some of it stays in piles, I can do better than one massive pile.

Aside from storing a few miscellaneous boxes and things that don't belong in the living or dining rooms, I'm hoping to turn the bedroom into a combination bedroom/S2 shop. That's going to involve pertinent books and maps. I also want to put a few posters, and maybe a couple of maps, up on the walls in the living and dining rooms. Specifically, I plan to put my poster of A Bold Bluff by C.M. Coolidge on the door to the utility room. At Zoo Station, I had it up in my kitchen, and I think that's a good place for it here at Van Diemen's Station. I'd also like to get my truck cleaned out, so that may be on the agenda for the coming week. It will really take a load off of my mind to finally get this done.

Oh, yeah, and save for three or four hours without electricity, the "Tropical Storm Hanna" was a big friggin' joke. In fact, everyone else still had electricity, including the Mongolian joint where I met up with Disc Golf Champ and Disc Golf Wife. They then came and took a second-hand futon from Butt Rubber and Olive Oil off of my hands, thus freeing up space in the bedroom that had previously been occupied. Needless to say, I wasn't that impressed.

Okay, I have things to do in the morning, so that's it. Any suggestions or decorating tips? Post 'em in the comments. Once the bedroom and the closet are cleaned up, I'll post pictures of both those and the bathroom. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home