16 October 2008

Election Thursday: Waves of Regret, Waves of Joy

Bollocks. Seriously. Bollocks. There, I said it. Okay, news first.

Ever been to a British pub? Or an American knock-off? The British pubs are falling on hard times. (AP, CNN) A lot of this has to do with little things like a smoking ban, but another factor isn't helping: family-friendly pubs. Trust me, folks: kids don't belong at pubs.

And, in a development that should prove that America is winning in Iraq, part of the issue with escalating violence in Afghanistan is that insurgents are fleeing Iraq in droves and regrouping in Afghanistan and northwestern Pakistan. I'll refrain from going into deep analysis about this at the moment, but this has far-reaching consqeuences for both fronts of the War on Terror.

Okay, it's Election Thursday, and I have two links to post, and then a rant. The first is a column by Glenn Beck, who I'm somewhat conflicted about, but who makes a great point: Voting against Obama doesn't make you a racist. And for those of you who watched the vice presidential debate a couple of weeks ago, you may appreciate this: Did Biden Get It Wrong? You Betcha. It details just a few of the asinine statements that Joe Biden made in the debate that have no connection to reality.

Speaking of which, it's time for a rant. Ladies and gentlemen, I'm seriously worried about this election. Voter registration fraud is rampant, and I can't find a single friend who's planning to vote for Senator Obama who can give me a single good reason why. I don't trust the polls; apparently they've been statistically proven to favor Democrats by at least three points, and the pollsters that are claiming huge leads are notoriously biased. I mean, come on. CBS and the New York Times running a joint poll that claims that Obama's ahead by fourteen points? Are you freakin' kidding me?

At any rate, I'm furious about the current financial and foreign policy situation. The housing crisis has been caused by Democrats. The energy crisis has been caused by Democrats, too - and the dramatic rise in energy prices was the domino that set off the housing market domino effect. Maybe the housing market thing wasn't completely the fault of the Democrats, but it was mostly their fault. And yet, people like Senators Obama, Biden, and Reid, Speaker Pelosi, and their cronies are harping away about the "failed economic policies of the last eight years". It's complete and total bullshit, and they're using it to their advantage, and it's pissing me off. Why won't anyone hold these people's feet to the fire? It's absolutely ridiculous.

I still think that Senator McCain can win, and I actually still think that he's going to win. Maybe even by a landslide. I didn't have faith in the American voters in 2004 when it was the choice between President Bush, and John Kerry. Barack Obama is a lot of things, but he's no John Kerry. John Kerry had a (shitty) war record, a couple of decades of (shitty) experience in office, and (fake) class. Obama has a lot of people fooled, but he's still the most inexperienced, partisan, non-credible candidate that the Democrat party has fielded in modern history; and Joe Biden is a total friggin' joke.

I attended a rally with John McCain and Sarah Palin on Monday of this week. To quote Senator McCain:

"We have 22 days to go. We're six points down. The national media has written us off. Senator Obama is measuring the drapes. My friends, we've got them just where we want them."
- Senator John McCain, 13th October 2008, Virginia Beach, VA

I believe in this campaign, and I think there's far more energy behind it than anyone probably realizes. I'm still very nervous, and the prospect of becoming a khat dealer in Sanaa, Yemen is looking more and more promising.

Debate starts shortly. Why I'm watching more lies and evasion from from Barack Obama about his past, his policies, and McCain's policies, I don't know. I guess it's just my patriotic duty. Or something.

For some reason, I'm compelled to state once again for the record that a double-decker bus should slam into the Whore, ending her life in a violent splatter of bitterness and frigidity. Check in tomorrow for AMF. I think it's about time for me to start my second beer.

UPDATE: I'm watching the debate. It's about fucking time that McCain came out swinging. This is fucking brilliant.

UPDATE: It's morning, and time is short, but I need to say this: Senator McCain cleaned up last night. I had approached the debate last night, with the expectation that Senator McCain would continue to calmly and ineffectively give the American people straight talk, while the silver-tongued Senator Obama would eloquently lie to them. Instead, Senator McCain came out swinging. He challenged Obama on most of the issues that Obama needed to be challenged on: his shady connections, his unwillingness to come clean about such connections, his lies about Senator McCain's records and proposals... The list went on and on.

For his part, Senator Obama was on the defensive all night, and he does poorly when he's on the defensive. As I think I've mentioned before, Senator Obama's ability to speak is restricted to occasions when he's using a teleprompter or rattling off scripted talking points. Last night, he had the benefit of neither. He stumbled, stuttered a little, spent more time trying to counter Senator McCain's precise criticism than he did giving vague and eloquent
descriptions of his astronomically expensive spending programs. Senator McCain dinged Senator Obama on his nuclear policy, his health care policy, a little bit on his foreign policy, and oh yeah, on the fact that Joe Biden's "foreign policy experience" is completely hollow. The best line of the night came early:

"Senator Obama, I am not President Bush. If you wanted to run against President Bush, you should have run four years ago."

OH SNAP! We have almost three weeks left in the election, and it's still going to be hard-fought, but this is precisely what we needed to see out of Senator McCain - precisely.

Now, we wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home