22 December 2008

No AK Usage Needed

Note: I originally posted this on Saturday night, but due to a lengthy day of writing on Sunday, I'm reposting it today. Regular posting will resume tomorrow. I hope everyone had a great weekend, and I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

Hey folks! It's [Monday morning], and I just wanted to post something quick. I had a reasonably good weekend, but Friday was truly excellent. It was exactly what I needed to break me out of the funk I'd been in all week. So, what happened?

The day actually started out with a bit of a disappointment. I wear Dockers to work, every day, so I tend to go through them every couple of months. On Friday morning, just as I thought I was ready to leave for work, I discovered that the khakis I've been wearing for the last couple of months had a frayed hole in the crotch, forcing me to break out a brand new pair that I had on standby. I now have to replace that pair, but having a brand new pair of trousers on standby is a beautiful thing.

As long term readers will remember, I'm not a Christmas person. Due to some deeply held doctrinal and historical views, I don't celebrate it, I scarcely acknowledge that it's happening around me, and I neither encourage nor discourage anyone else from participating. However, people still tend to give me gifts, and I graciously accept them - no matter what the occasion, if someone gives me a gift, I try to be a gracious recipient and appreciate it for what it is. Friday morning, my boss, with whom we all have a very good relationship, brought in gifts for everyone in the office. Boss Lady seems to have a knack for picking out gifts for people, and this talent has been evidenced in a number of going-away gifts for folks who have left for new opportunities in the time that I've been at this job - to include the Crypto King. She hit the proverbial nail on the head with what she got for me:

  • How to Talk to Girls by Alec Greven - the book on relationships by a nine year old
  • a Titanium Spork!

    The first item was obviously somewhat of a gag gift, as I date very seldom and have a tendency to strike out with any and all available women. The second item, though, was as much of a slam dunk as any gift I've ever gotten, and probably surpasses the previous record holder for Greatest Gift Ever, the copy of The Naval Officer's Guide that I received from Mudflap's father for Christmas of '99. It will replace the second MRE spoon that I've used since arriving here. This set the stage for the rest of my work day to be excellent.

    I communicate with the Crypto King often, usually over XMPP. When I mentioned the Titanium Spork to him, he pointed me to another source of Titanium sporks: TAD Gear. I'd never heard of this company before, and was astonished at some of the gear they have for both military and outdoor purposes. Some of their items will likely serve as inspirations for equipment for characters in my novels, and I'm interested in some of their gear for myself - not the least of these being their Molon Labe desert patch for my Crye Precision Range Vest.

    In the evening, I went to watch the Norfolk Admirals play the Albany River Rats. These were the two bottom-ranked teams in the league, but Norfolk did what I never expected: they pulled off a 5-0 shutout. I was absolutely floored, and it was a great way to finish off the great day that salvaged my entire week.

    I slept in Saturday, and I spent part of Saturday and all day Sunday working on my latest submission to my parallel writing endeavour while watching The Desert Rats on Hulu, among other things. If you have some time to kill, either today or in the coming days, go ahead and check it out.

    Oh, yeah, and President Bush is Neo. Excellent.

    Have a great Monday, folks, and check back later this week for news, that new article, and the Stuff Fly Wants list.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home