25 March 2009

Scheme Your Schemes

This is two days in a row that I've done my Bible reading. It's always good stuff, but every now and again there's a verse that jumps out at me. Most of them jump out because they're profound, but every now and again there's one that's just plain funny. That was the case with today's reading, Deuteronomy 14, which was pretty standard stuff up before and after this particular gem:

Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns, and he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner. But you are a people holy to the LORD your God.
- Deuteronomy 14:21

Translation: if you can't eat it, sell it to someone who will. Hilarious.

As I write this, I'm watching a recent CSI episode guest-starring Taylor Swift. I love CSI, but this one is particularly good. I enjoy shows, or episodes of shows, that take a unique form, and this episode follows one of the CSI dudes on four different cases over the course of a year, instead of two teams on two separate cases at once. Very cool, and Taylor Swift is very easy to look at.

Oddly enough, as much as I love watching CSI, it can be a tough show for me to watch because I was once betrayed in Las Vegas, and I was later betrayed by the person with whom I shared my only good memories of Las Vegas. I'm trying to forgive the former for Lent; if I'm successful, I'll try to forgive the latter, as it was the lesser of the two betrayals.

It's been a weird couple of weeks. Being sick really forced me to slow down for a few days, which I really, really hated. It wasn't without its benefits, though, as I've been saying for a long time that I needed a vacation. I was able to get a few things done this weekend, and I'm hoping to accomplish more before the week's done.

I know I say this on a pretty regular basis, but several recent events have compelled me to figure out a short term game plan for where my life is going, and what I'm doing to get myself there. These include tax returns, people leaving jobs, people losing jobs... A lot of stuff, really. I'm not in a hurry to move on, but the longer I'm here, the less there is waiting for me here. I don't know that it's time for me to leave, but it's time for me to make a much bigger effort toward finishing the things I want to finish while I'm here so that I don't have the regrets that I had when I left California.

One of the things that I'm confident is not waiting for me here in Old Dominion is the future Mrs. Fly, if she exists. This is frustrating, but I'm slowly getting better at tolerating it - some days are better than others. The big result of this realization is that I'm doing something that I've wanted to do for a while now: I shaved, completely, about two weeks ago. I hate that look, but I did it anyway. Since then, the only shaving I've done is buzzing off a few stray hairs on my cheeks, and the few whispy hairs on my mustache line. I don't know how long I'll let it go, and I imagine that the final event will be shaving it back into goatee form, but for the time being it's a nice distraction. I doubt I'll get to the level of having a Taliban-style beard, but I'm likely to get pretty hairy before the bulk of it finally goes. Today I got my hair buzzed, and I actually love the look, even though my Big Sister would probably claim that I look like a serial murderer. (For the record, I am not a serial or even one-time murderer.)

In my mailbox today was a coupon packet, which I always throw away whenever it arrives. However, on occasion I'll look at the missing persons section. One of the two people on the missing persons advert was a thirty-five year-old woman who is five foot four (5'4"), two hundred forty-five pounds (245 lbs). Upon reading that, my first thought was "Who'd want to find that woman if she's five-four, two hundred forty-five pounds?" I am officially a horrible person, but both M@ and I thought it was funny.

I really like the new U2 album, and today I'm sharing a live studio performance of the opening/title track, No Line on the Horizon.



Alright, that's it for today. Check in tomorrow for the latest Stuff Fly Wants list, and have a great day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home