29 April 2009

Bedlam

I wound up having a lot going on last night, so I didn't write up a post. I have a number of things to share, but they'll have to wait. In the mean time, here are three things worth looking at.

After it was revealed that the producers of the Da Vinci Code sequel obnoxiously cheated the Vatican's ban on filming for the movie, a Guardian columnist has sided with the Vatican on the grounds that the books are "rubbish." Hilarious.

Also hilarious, and also from the Guardian, is a comedic sampling of President Obama's E-mails. From the headline, I thought that it was going to be yet another fluff piece that gave President Obama a pass for all of the questionable policies he's been enacting lately, but it turns out to be a parody piece. Aside from the asinine lines about President Bush, it's hysterical - particularly the E-mail to Vice President Biden. Whoops, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit when I typed "Vice President Biden".

On a serious note, Michael Totten has posted and commented on a recent article from Robert Kaplan on The Revenge of Geography - a discussion of the impact of geography on politics in the Middle East and South and Central Asia. Michael Yon has also written three dispatches from Borneo, where he's embedded for a tracking course with British soldiers who are preparing to go to Afghanistan. The dispatches are here, here, and here. Michael Totten and Michael Yon are the best war correspondents writing today, and even when I disagree with them, I value what they have to say. When they post links, I try to read those, too. I read Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan, the author of that piece that Totten linked to, and it was insightful and fantastic. Basically, if you want to stay informed on current events that impact you personally, you should be checking Yon and Totten once or twice a week, and reading anything that Robert Kaplan publishes.

That's it for today, folks. Have a fantastic day, and I'll have more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home