15 September 2009

Apologies and Travel Memories

First and foremost, I owe an apology and a correction to my beloved big sister, Mighty Mo. Yesterday, I erroneously stated that she recommended that I get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. While this is vaguely reflective of her actual advice, it was a misstatement, and for that I apologize. What I meant to infer was that she advised me to stop getting my oil changes done at the dealership. I had forgotten that she'd recommended WalMart (which I may try the next time I need one done). So, I followed part of her advice, but not all of her advice, and I misstated this in yesterday's post. I apologize for this oversight, and hope that this sets the record straight.

Now, the news.

  • CNN: Ancient synagogue found in Israel
  • BBC: In pictures: Journey down the Jordan
  • BBC: Foreign troops launch Somali raid
  • Guardian: Video: [Growing] 'Almonds [in the West Bank] paid for my children to go to university'
  • Guardian: Obama's big silence: the race question - "Today's mobs, on the other hand, are reacting to the symbolic victory of an African American winning the presidency." You know, I'm associated with a number of folks who are tied into the Tea Party movement. They're not a "mob"; and, almost without exception, the Tea Party movement has nothing to do with President Obama's race, and everything to do with his agenda and his unbridled plans to spend beyond the capacity of Americans to pay for his programs. Leave it to a Canadian writing in The Guardian to completely misrepresent American politics.
  • Guardian: Don't repeat this mistake: The government should not use the same flawed tactics with the far right that it used on Muslims - The guy makes an interesting point, although I question the equation of "far right"/British nationalist groups with Muslim extremists. The two groups are diametrically and fundamentally opposite: one is a cultural invader, while the other is a cultural defender. Oh, and it's also disturbing that the columnist, Yahya Birt, incorrectly equates fascism with the "far right" - fascism was always a far left ideology.
  • Times: Afghanistan troops become [German] poll issue;
  • AFP: Obama faces skeptics in Congress over Afghan war - I really, really dislike the direction in which this Afghanistan situation is going. Liberal hippies in Congress whined for years that President Bush had "taken America's focus off of the real war in Afghanistan in order to fight an unsubstantiated quagmire of a war in Iraq". President Obama is in, and now they're ready to abandon Afghanistan, too? This is really, really frustrating.
  • Wired Danger Room: Companies pitch ideas for new light attack aircraft
  • Wired Danger Room: Venezuela's shop-'til-you-drop deal with Russia; AFP: Chavez announces Russian missile purchase
  • UPI: Commentary: Al-Qaida 360
  • Michael Yon: Pedros - Michael Yon rides along with the Air Force Pararescue personnel who save lives on the front lines in Afghanistan. Great writing, but phenomenal images.
  • Cracked: 5 Facts About Woodstock The Hippies Don't Want You to Know - Oh, snap!

    I continue to observe the five year anniversary of the greatest two weeks of my life: my walkabout in the British Isles. Given that I spent several nights in Orkney, I lost track toward the end of last week. I left Orkney by way of Stromness on the morning of 10th September, 2004. I travelled by ferry, by bus, and finally by train, which took me from Thurso to Inverness, and then from Inverness to Glasgow. I stayed the night of 10th September at the Glasgow Backpackers Hostel. On the morning of 11th September I collected a resupply package from a funeral home in Glasgow, then went to Edinburgh, booked lodging for that night, and then took a train to Carlisle where I crossed the line of Hadrian's Wall and ate at the Ristorante Adriano (approximate location). I was back in Edinburgh long enough to sleep at the Highlander Backpackers Hostel. The next morning, I took a train back to Glasgow (which is really a beautiful city with a lot of wonderful people), then boarded another train to Stranraer, where I took a ferry to Belfast.

    Belfast is also a beautiful city, with wonderful people. I spent the night of 12th September at Arnie's Backpackers (website/location), which was one of the more memorable hostels that I stayed in during my travels. I was particularly thrilled when, on 13th September, I walked into the Ulster Museum (website/location) and, within five minutes, was having a conversation with Professor Richard Warner, the Keeper of Antiquities (and a man whose writings I had quoted previously in a paper I'd written on ancient Ireland). He actually let me photocopy the entirety of his files on the subject of whether or not the Romans sent expeditions to ancient Ireland, or interfered in Irish politics. I mailed the papers home to myself (pretty slick, huh?) and later that evening, boarded a bus for Dublin, in the Republic of Ireland. On 13th, 14th, and 15th September, I stayed at Globetrotters Hostel (website/location). Since I've done a lot of catching up in this post, I'll leave my tales about Dublin for tomorrow.

    Have an excellent day, folks.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home