22 July 2005

Strange Things are Afoot in London

Good grief, what the heck is going on?

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Police in London have shot a man dead at a subway station, a day after bombers apparently failed to repeat the carnage of the July 7 blasts.

The incident just after 10 a.m. (0900 GMT) Friday triggered new fears about the security of the capital's transit system just one day after four attempted bombings targeted three Underground trains and a bus.

A Scotland Yard spokesperson said: "We can confirm that just after 10 a.m. armed officers entered Stockwell Tube station.

"A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot. London Ambulance Service attended the scene. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Now, I've been to London twice. I lived most of last Summer in the United Kingdom. I've travelled extensively through Europe (England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, and Italy), and I can tell you that it's rare that police would even carry guns. Now, I can understand the situation in London, and I can understand that cops are carrying guns.

Apparently this guy was followed by London police officers from his home, and they attempted to apprehend him. He was wearing a heavy coat; I can tell you for a fact that this is extremely suspicious. I was in London a year ago this weekend, and I would have been walking around in my skivvies if I could have; one doesn't wear a jacket in London in July.

At any rate, they cornered him in a Tube station, the suspect (who they'd apparently been pursuing for some time) challenged them, and he was shot five times. Ambulance crews pronounced him dead at the scene.

My opinion? If British cops routinely carried sidearms, they probably wouldn't have shot him. People who aren't heavily experienced with firearms tend to have itchier trigger fingers, I think; I don't have statistics to back it up, I just know that I've been a shooter for a lot of years, and that has actually calmed any impulse I might have to take a shot (or five). I'm not trying to second guess the London police, but if you ask me, this bloke probably could have been apprehended alive, even if he had been carrying explosives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home