23 August 2005

Faith in America

Have a look at this Newsweek article about spirituality in the States, from the same folks who brought you a retracted story about the Quran being flushed that led to the deaths of several Afghans in riots.

As far as I'm concerned, the article's a feel-good piece about Americans "being spiritual" and "seeking their own paths to God". I don't buy the nonsensical claim that all paths lead to God; I think it's a positive thing that Americans are interested in spirituality, but it's not surprising; I believe we're all born with an innate void that can only be filled by God, called a "God-shaped hole" by many Christians. People try to fill it with sports, or beer, or drugs, or money, or work, or food.

Part of the focus of the article is people who seek an experience, an intimate encounter with God. I was in this mindset in high school, but the more I looked around me, the more I realized that a true communion with God isn't about an emotional experience. I strongly believe that a true communion with God comes from a rational, consistent faith that is unyielding and constant. Encountering God is not about having a feel-good emotional experience, and I believe that such an approach leads to a weak faith in the long run.

At any rate, read the article and if you have any thoughts, post them. I'm headed to bed shortly. More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home