08 September 2005

Weirdness Prevails

There have been two occurances today that have been relatively strange. One at the beginning of my afternoon work cycle, one at the end.

I'd finished washing the roof of one of the vans when Hanna showed up... Or rather, left. I went over to her car and talked with her for a while; apparently she's back at work for her family's business across the street, trying to save up some money. Since it pays every Friday, she can work there and draw pay while she waits for the first paycheck from her other job at one of the local pizza joints. We discussed various things, and I think, I think, I got shot down. By a barely-employed nineteen year old party girl with no real direction in life and one year of community college under her belt. Right...

Anyway, as I was leaving work, I was told to call my uncle. I figured it was about work, but I was only indirectly correct. His ex-wife has been missing since March, and it appears that they found her last night... On the very property she disappeared from. In a garage attic. You've gotta hand it to those county deputies, eh? Anyway, no foul play is suspected. I won't go further into the details; suffice to say, my cousin didn't think it was a good idea to be on call tonight. I immediately volunteered to take my cousin's on-call time, not because I wanted the on-call time, but because that's family, and that's business, and that's the right thing to do. Hopefully I'll have the next couple of days off, but we'll see.

And before anyone offers their condolences, you can save them. I barely knew this woman in the first place, and she caused the family a lot of grief, even after she and my uncle were divorced. I'm just glad that there's resolution to the situation, because even though her disappearance didn't bug me very much, I was very frustrated that my cousins had to deal with the issue of not knowing whether their mom was dead or alive. That's a lousy situation for anyone.

So, that's my day. I work until 20:00, and then I head home. Maybe I'll actually accomplish something tomorrow; that'd be a nice change of pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home