23 November 2005

Answering Father Time

In these comments, Father Time posited the following questions:

BTW, my original statement includes Reagan, Ford, and Nixon. Do you suppose you could Fly by them without using the phrase, "by comparison with Carter and LBJ....."?

If you're asking if I hold a double standard based on my politics, then no, I don't. I don't have a love for Nixon, but I think Ford was a reasonably good president, and Reagan was one of the best we've had. Even so, if others disagree with their policies, and want to say so, that's fine with me. Like I said, Clinton's sort of a special case, because for eight years he was a complete and total mockery of the presidency, and I think he deserves what he gets.

If anything, I think it's worse to make insulting remarks about a sitting president. The jokes that I've heard about President Bush over the last five years have been literally attrocious, things have been taken completely out of context, and he's been criticized unjustly. If you disagree with a policy and you can elaborate on why you disagree with a policy, that's one thing; if you're trying to justify your position by smearing and attempting to marginalize a sitting president, that's quite another. So, that's my position on that.

Incidentally, Charles Dickens is boring me. I'm switching back to my George Will baseball book. What do you recommend for holiday season reading?

I'm not big on the holidays to begin with (well, Thanksgiving, not Christmas); I'd recommend as "holiday reading" anything you'd normally read, such as How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, Warfighting by the U.S. Marine Corps staff (you'd like that one, Father Time, it's directly applicable to business), or perhaps something by Patrick F. McManus. Other than that, I highly recommend Crissmus and Exmas by C.S. Lewis, written in the style of Herodotus.

What about all you folks out there? What do you read for the holidays? Give Father Time your suggestions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home