17 November 2005

Censorship in Video Games

When I was looking for that cartoon about urine and Qurans yesterday, I came upon this link, which was the second-listed website for Filibuster Cartoons on Google. I had no clue.

What do you think? I'm not sure you can justify Nintendo's policies as "censorship". Actually, it would be refreshing if more companies practiced some self-control. I remember when the only charges that could be leveled at video games were that they were addicting, or "rotted your brain", or some other such nonsense. I don't think anyone can disagree at this point that there are absolutely video games out there these days that promote things they shouldn't.

Don't get me wrong; I love a good game of Halo or Ghost Recon, but I also understand that those games are for adults. As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo had a good policy: market games to kids, and clean them up so that they're either values-good, or at the very least values-neutral. It would be nice if more companies bet on positive family values as a marketing strategy like Nintendo did. Nintendo games were classics that I still play as ROMs.

So, yeah. Any thoughts or comments? And is it really "censorship" if you do it to yourself? I think the word "censorship" carries a pretty negative connotation; but I'll stop babbling. Tell me what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home