29 December 2005

Cutting the Ties that Bind

Longtime readers of this blog will have heard the occasional story about my adventures with Gus and Jen. At the point of this writing, I have not received so much as an E-Mail from Gus since the beginning of October. In June, I would have considered this guy to be best man material if I were getting married; now I'm pretty much ready to send this E-Mail to him.

Hey Gus,

It's been quite a while since I've heard from you. I'm looking for jobs at this point, and will probably be moving out of the area in the near future. My guess is that our paths probably won't cross before then, so I figured I'd send you a quick note to let you know that I hope that you enjoy continued success.

I've enjoyed and valued our time together over the last few years. Believe it or not, I've learned (and even grown) quite a bit as a result of our friendship, and that is something I will value long into the future. I wish only good things for you as we continue to write our own chapters of history.

Best wishes,
The Fly

I really hate cutting ties like this, and it's possible that the friendship could rebound after this long hiatus. Really, though, he's on his way to getting married (which I found out about through the girlfriend's blog, a month after the fact), he's got a solid job, and he's looking to buy a house. I haven't gotten an E-Mail from him since October, I haven't gotten a call since at least early September, and I haven't seen him in person since July. I, on the other hand, am single, and I'm getting ready to move somewhere that, for all I know at this point, could be inhabited by dragons, hobbits, or damn dirty apes. If the friendship is going to fall apart, now's a good enough time for it to happen.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home