05 January 2006

Lampooning Fatwas

I received the following link from Father Time. This is the response I sent to him.

Father Time,

The guy makes a good point, of course. I'm not sure whether or not I've heard of Tom Friedman. I know two things along these lines.

A) In a lot of cases, these "condemnations" of bin Laden and terror groups will simultaneously include language against "enemies of Islam"; for example, "We strongly condemn the acts of Usama bin Laden/al Qaeda/Hamas/Islamic Jihad in this latest savage terrorist attack, *but* the dirty Jews/American infidels/whoever had it coming.

B) Islamic organizations condemning terrorism isn't really news for the most part; right after a major attack, such as the fatwa after the 7/7 attack in London, yes. The fatwas that come more regularly, after a car bomb, or a bomb vest/belt attack on a bus or cafe or Iraqi police recruiting station, not so much.

When the Grand Ayatollah Ali Khomenei in Iran joins with "Sir" Iqbal Sacranie of the Muslim Council of Britain, and those two get hooked up on a stage with some liberal Muslims and sing a catchy tune by the name of "Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel, Usama bin Laden sucks ass", then I'll pay more attention.

Fly

That was my response. Thta's my story and I'm sticking to it. I rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home