28 March 2006

A Super Fly Update

Here are a few of the things that are going on with me today.

I think my ancient computer may have a virus. My computer crashed like, five or six times this morning. I went to the computer shop that my company uses, and I'm looking into getting a new one; it'll be expensive if I get it from them, but I can knock about $400 off of the bid by not getting MS Office (which I can get later if I need it), and if I get it from them they'll transfer all of my files for me from my desktop and laptop machines. They make good machines, and without MS Office, it'll come out to around $1200, some of which I can get my folks to pay for as a tardy graduation gift.

On the employment front, I got five rejection E-Mails from Raytheon last night, one of which was for the job that I interviewed for. One of them was for the job that I first applied for with them back in November. Now, their website said about a month ago that I'd been eliminated from that job (Intelligence Analyst), and it's basically a month later that I finally get an E-Mail. I checked the website, and it still says that the Civilians on the Battlefield position is "In Review". Basically, I'm getting conflicting information, and while I now have reason to believe that I didn't get the job, I also have reason to believe that their website is more accurate than their E-Mail system. I'll give it until the end of the week to see if I hear anything more; after that, I'll figure out the next step in my game plan.

A strange thing has happened with Boeing, however. I haven't applied for any more jobs since I got the first call-back from Raytheon almost a month ago. As of two weeks ago, I had been eliminated from all but two jobs with Boeing: that one in Colorado, and one in California. It's been like that for several weeks. Well, I checked Boeing's website last night after I got all of the rejection E-Mails, and I'm now under consideration for three jobs, not two. I applied in early February for a job as an office administrator at one of Boeing's offices in Washington state, and had been eliminated from it; somehow, I've been put back in the running. Maybe they interviewed the finalists and all of them were mouth-breathing simpletons? Who knows. We'll see what happens. I'll also be applying for a job for another company that has an office in College City at work tomorrow, provided it's still listed on that company's website.

Since I'll probably have a new computer soon, and since they'll have to transfer the files from this machine over to the new hard drive, I undertook the monstrous task of reorganizing my files. Back when I was using Windows 3.1, before the days of a "My Documents" folder, I had my own folder labeled "miscfiles" (for "Miscellaneous Files"). One of the guys at the shop said that all of the files on this machine needed to be in "My Documents" in order to be transfered, so everything that can be moved, has been moved. There are still a few sound files, program-related files, and audio files that can't be moved until everything gets transferred, but everything else has either been moved, or trashed. I've dreaded doing this for at least a couple of years, but it didn't take as long as I would have thought, and it was more painless than I expected. By the end of the day, I'll have run Scandisk and Defrag as well. I rule.

Most of yesterday's list got finished yesterday; the only items that weren't taken care of by the time I went to bed around midnight were PT and dropping off a couple of things at the post office. The post office got taken care of today. Today's looking promising; I'll try to get out for a long walk later on, and this will count as my writing for today. I'm sure I'll finish FM 100-5 at some point this week, but I started reading Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden yesterday, and I'll probably try to knock out a couple of chapters of that between now and Schlaffenzeit.

So, that's me today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home