27 May 2006

Introspective Rumblings of the Desert Fly

First and foremost, I want to congratulate Father Time. He and his wife are adopting a dog. I had the privilege of taking care of their old dog, Buddy, from time to time. I can say without hesitation that Buddy was one of my favorite dogs, and I have enjoyed the company of a lot of great dogs. I wish Father Time the best of fortune at making Joey an integral and natural addition to the Time family.

I have today off; originally, I'd expected to start work this past Monday and work straight through to 9th June without relief. Most of the folks I work with are happy to have the day off; I'd honestly rather be at work. I was watching Miracle with one of my neighbors, and thinking about how disappointed and frustrated I was that I wasn't going to be working today. Even though today's agenda would have consisted almost entirely of sitting out in the desert doing pretty much nothing, I was looking forward to it; helping to train the Army, taking along a book or some Arabic flash cards. Two weeks ago, I was unsure whether or not I even wanted to keep doing the job; now, there's nothing that I could feasibly be doing that I'd rather be doing than going to work.

Today I'll tidy up my flat, and may try to get my new computer set up one last time before pitching in the towel, driving to Victorville, and trying to exchange it for one that actually works. Right now, I'm watching Spooks; later, probably after I've finished watching the last episode of Series 3, I'll do a bit of reading in The Civil War by Julius Caesar.

My Field Pants should arrive early next week, and I'm stoked to start wearing them out in the field. I've almost reached the point where I have all the gear I need, between my stuff and the stuff the company's given me. There are things that I still want to get (half of the first segment of the updated Stuff Fly Wants list, for example), but I've got utility trousers, boots, a hydration pack, and a lot of other gear. Now, it's time to start combining gear with education and experience to become the best at the job that I can be. It's time to start carving out my niche, so that when I eventually leave, they're scrambling to try and fill the gap I've made.

All things considered, though, I still hate California. This is a means to an end; an end that I'm rededicating myself to reaching, no matter how long it takes.

Thus saith the Fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home