05 July 2006

The Fly's Big Day

Today I am twenty-four years old, and even uglier now than I was when I was born! My plans for today are to renew my driver's license, have lunch with Father Time, hang out with Company Ink at the office and maybe get a couple of things done on the office computer, and then have dinner and probably go see Superman Returns with Super Dave. Kickass!

As for gifts, when asked for what I wanted, I forwarded my mother the Stuff Fly Wants list. So far, this is what I've gotten for my birthday:

  • money from my great aunt, parents, and grandmother
  • a money clip with one of my late grandfather's Indian head nickels set into it from my other grandmother

    I'm also receiving packages from both Michelley and Mo-Licious. Apparently the one from Mo is "something I asked for", and it's going to "arrive in two installments". Are you folks as terrified as I am?

    Right then, I'm off! Leave your accolades (or slurs!) in the comments section.

    UPDATE: Well, my birthday is almost over. I went to see Superman Returns with Super Dave (great flick, I highly recommend it), got some computer work done that I can't (yet) do on my computers back in the Wasteland, saw my former co-workers, had a great Hungarian lunch with Father Time, and got some pretty decent gifts.

    Tomorrow I return to the Wasteland, and although I'm happy to get back to work and earn money, it's going to be hard to leave this gorgeous Northwest weather behind. I don't know that it's broken eighty-five degrees the entire time I've been here, and today was actually cold. You don't even get cold at midnight back at Zoo Station. I think I've just about gotten my finances straightened out, which means that I should be able to start conditioning my air very soon. I get paid tomorrow, and having paid my major bills within the last couple of weeks, I should be in good shape to keep saving every dollar possible. I have some goals for the rest of the year that I'm ardently working to accomplish.

    I'll get a Fly Report knocked out tomorrow morning, but most of my day will be spent getting ready to leave, and then leaving. I'm flying out of Metropolis and into Las Vegas, and won't get back to Zoo Station until about midnight or so.

    Here are some of the things that I've accomplished while I've been home:

  • Saw Mormon and Mrs. Buddha, Gus and Jen, Father Time and Mrs. Time, Company Ink, Super and Mrs. Dave, M@, LtCol Spook, the Desert Rat, and several others
  • Finished reading "Black Hawk Down" by Mark Bowden (purchased in 2001, started in April, finished in July)
  • Retrieved various pieces of field gear that I'll put into good use down in the Wasteland, including several pieces comped by the Desert Rat
  • Put together a revised resume to submit to Jane's, which will hopefully get me a part time gig as a freelancer
  • Renewed my driver's license (good 'til 2014!)
  • Got a Slurpee (7-Eleven doesn't exist in Barstow)

    Well, I should start getting ready for bed; tomorrow will be a long day. Thanks to all of you who wished me well on my birthday, whether it was on the blog, in person, through a text message, on the phone, or even on some other website. I'll try to make my twenty-fifth year (because, after all, this ended my twenty-fourth year) the most outstanding yet.
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home