14 December 2006

A Brief Thought

I don't remember whether it's in the Quran, the Hadith, or the Sunnah, but somewhere Muslims received some sort of indication that martyrs would receive seventy-two virgins when they reach Paradise.

For some reason, I was just thinking: what if the situation is a complete misinterpretation on the part of radical Muslims? For example, Christians in Europe and the Americas during the colonial period misinterpreted the Bible, believing that it condoned, or justified, or excused slavery. In reality, such an interpretation took the Bible completely out of its historical context.

What if the situation is the same with the whole thing about seventy-two virgins? What if, instead of a reward, this is meant as some sort of punishment? I'm probably just rambling and neglecting to think this through, but the thought struck me, and since I haven't posted anything for the past few days (and thus, haven't satisfied the writing requirement on my daily "To Do" list) I figured I'd put it on digital "paper".

G'night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home