15 December 2006

Seventeen Consecutive

Seventeen consecutive days. That's how many days until I head back to work. I have completed my obligations involving gainful employment for the calendar year 2006. I will not work again until 2nd January, 2007. Don't worry, Fly Reports will keep appearing every weekday.

Here are a few things worth noting.

A few weeks ago, as part of my continuing process of professional education at work, I qualified to drive the CUCV and the HMMWV, better known as the "Humvee" or "Hummer". In theory, I could actually pull my military license and show it to women. What woman, other than every woman I've ever dated in the past, would be able to resist me after hearing me say those six magic words: "I'm licensed to drive a Humvee"?

I'm planning to take more pictures tonight or tomorrow at Goldstone. I've put together a matrix of different camera options, and my plan is to check all of the boxes off; that way, I should wind up with at least a few pictures that turn out well, and hopefully some variations. It's a good opportunity to study different film effects... If I can get any of them to turn out. If I can, then they should be some pretty excellent pictures. I may also try to get some night pictures of Joshua Trees... Or maybe I'll save that for my first photographic expedition of 2007.

I'm very satisfied with my Xchair. The one hangup is that it's cold enough at Zoo Station these days that it's tough to sit in without some blanket support; however, I've taken several naps in it, and it's very comfortable. If you're looking for a piece of furniture that's mobile, modular, space-saving, comfortable, or any combination thereof, I highly recommend this chair.

In spite of my busy schedule, I've gotten through two chapters of Islamic Imperialism by Efraim Karsh. I've found it to be very engaging. Karsh's thesis (that Islam is imperialistic by its very nature, as opposed to being imperialistic as a response to Western influence) is an interesting one, and while I'm holding out judgment, his first chapter on Muhammed raises some very interesting points about the economic, social, and political background and how they may have influenced Muhammed's words and actions. Having studied Islamic history in college, and having needed a review, I can honestly say that the second chapter was an excellent refresher on the history of Islam from the death of Muhammed in 632 to the establishment of the Abbassid Dynasty in 750. I look forward to seeing where Karsh's arguments lead.

It pains me to say that the Orkneyjar Photoblog has been shut down. Sigurd Towrie was exeeding his allotted bandwidth, so the beautiful photos had to go. I may suggest to Mr. Towrie that he start a Flickr account.

Well, I have various tasks to complete in preparation for yet another triumphant return to Hometown. I'll try to post a news update either today or tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home