17 December 2006

Wandering On

One of my favorite U2 songs (in fact, one of the most beautiful songs ever made) is The Wanderer, released in 1993 on the Zooropa album. The original version of the song featured Johnny Cash on lead vocals.

Johnny Cash died on 12th September 2003, a day when I was doing a morning show on college radio at [Generic University] in order to fill dead airtime. I played The Wanderer, as it was the only Cash song that we could find anywhere in the station (and I happened to have brought it, not even knowing the song was on the Zooropa album). Although Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt has come to be regarded as his epitaph, I truly feel that The Wanderer is every bit as appropriate.

While searching YouTube to see if there was a video for the song, I discovered a clip of U2 performing a tribute version of the song for a CBS special. Their version, with The Edge on backing vocals, is every bit as good as the original version. Go check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home