08 May 2007

Curses!

Hey folks. A couple of days ago, I posted about the possibility of an impending miracle. My hopes have been dashed; here's the story.

My plan has long been to remain in my desert enclave for between one and two years. At this point, I've completed all of the minimum professional goals that I set for myself a little over a year ago. I don't know that I feel ready to leave quite yet, but I certainly believe that it's time to start planning for my next jump; if not, I run the risk of getting tied down, like intrepid Gulliver at the hands of the Lilliputians. Given semi-favorable conditions, I'd be prepared to stay another year here, but if the right opportunity came along I'd most likely take it.

Figuring that I'd be ready to leave at any point between 25th April 2007 and the same day in 2008, I started scouting out my options in January of this year. Last week I applied for a position as a national security analyst, and got an E-Mail back indicating their interest in me and expanding upon the specifics of the position. It seemed like it might be a perfect jump from my current position. I got extremely excited at the possibilities, and informed all of my friends that I might be leaving the desert prematurely. Today I got an E-Mail informing me that the company had "rank-ordered" the interested candidates, and enough of the candidates who outranked me had expressed interest in the position to deny me an interview.

Now, I'll be honest: I think I would have been perfect for the job in question, so the whole sequence is a bit of a disappointment. The thing that really gets me, though, is that they'd dangle an interview in front of me and then yank it away. To me, that seems much worse than not being contacted in the first place. The closest analogy I can come up with is that of airlines that overbook their flights, knowing that they might have a couple of people fail to show up. I ask you, ladies and gentlemen: would it be so difficult for them to only contact the number of people they want to interview, and then if a couple of them are no longer interested, then contact a couple more people?

As far as I'm concerned, my refusal to disclose the company's identity is far more professional than their hiring practices.

The up-swing is that I can breathe a sigh of relief, as I still feel that there are a few things left to be accomplished here at Zoo Station and my eventual evacuation is no longer impending. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking to see what's available out in the world at large (in fact, this snub has increased my drive), but the pucker factor is gone. And, to be honest, it may be good for me in the long run, because my budget and schedule would have been tight if the escape would have come quickly; now I can formulate a tangible game plan blending both budget and schedule, and continue saving money for an eventual move.

And what other news is there? Long-time commentator F3 has finished college and will be graduating any day now; congratulations to her. A new tactical decision game is still upcoming, hopefully by the end of the week; I'm also hoping that one of these evenings will give me ample opportunity to finish up my dossier feature on the deployment of the ballistic missile defense system (and its political fallout).

Oh, and for the record, I really want a Grundig S350DL. I should add it to the Stuff Fly Wants list... Which, as a matter of fact, I forgot to post in April!

More soon, folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home