20 June 2007

Wanderlust

It's Wednesday, and that's a good time for a news update.

* * *


In my last news post, I posted three links in a series by Michael Yon. The final dispatch, Death or Glory Part IV, is now posted. Go check out the diplomatic war that the Queen's Royal Lancers are engaged in.

MSN has an article worth reading about security contractors in Iraq. The article tends to imply that casualties among the veritable private armies in Iraq go unreported; in reality, they shouldn't be highly reported, because their entire purpose is to increase the professional ability of those providing security, thus reducing the overall number of troops putting themselves in harm's way.

Four former Soviet republics have held a summit aimed at increasing their cooperation with each other while further distancing themselves from Russia.

* * *


Courtesy of Father Time, a joke.

The leader of their captors said: "We're going to line you up in front of a firing squad and shoot you all in turn. But first, you each can make a final wish."

The Scotsman says: "I'd like to hear Flower of Scotland just one more time to remind me of the auld country, played on bagpipes in the style of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards."

The Irishman says: "I'd like to hear Danny Boy just one more time to remind me of the Emerald Isle, sung in the style of Daniel O'Donnell, with Riverdance dancers skipping gaily to the tune."

The Welshman says: "I'd like to hear Men Of Harlech just one more time to remind me of the Land of my Fathers, sung as if by the Aberavon Male Voice Choir."

The Englishman said: "I'd like to be shot first..."

For the record, al Qaeda members tend to be savage barbarians who wouldn't be gentlemanly enough to offer their captives a last wish... Not even the Englishman's.

* * *


The big news of the day is that there is a better than even chance that I will be making several changes soon: jobs, companies, and coasts. It's not set in stone yet, but I'll be interviewing for a job within the next week or so, and if I get the offer I'll be moving across the country to Old Dominion, the Commonwealth of Virginia. At this point, it looks extremely promising.

The position is largely unremarkable, but there would be a few perks, not least of which would be a drastic reduction in the duration of my daily commute; that translates into more time, and a significant reduction in monthly overhead. It would also be a white collar job doing white collar work, as opposed to my current position which is a white collar job doing primarily blue collar work. I'm trying to be realistic and not see this situation through rose-colored glasses, but the bottom line is that I think this could turn out to be a good opportunity for me to get back to pursuing some of the things I've been unable to pursue since I arrived in Zoo Station, like learning Arabic and writing profusely.

I'll keep you, my valued TSTF readership, informed of important events as they happen. In the mean time, stay tuned for an upcoming article on the Mujahideen-e-Khalq.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home