04 January 2008

2008's First Friday

I've found myself fairly unimpressed with 2008 so far. Actually, very unimpressed. Anyway, here are a few of the things that have been occupying my mind lately.

* * *

I mentioned last week that I'm interested in getting an FN FAL. Upon further consultation with Desert Rat Tim, he said that he could get a hold of an AR-15 for me at a reasonable price, so I think I may be in the market for one of those as well. As I'll mention in a later post, one of the things that I want to accomplish in 2008 is to take the Blackwater Bushmaster Carbine Operator Course down in North Carolina. Given that one of the prerequisite items on the gear list is a carbine, it would probably help if I had my own and didn't have to rent one.

Not only would a five day course from Blackwater be friggin' cool, it would be a great feature to add to a resume - heck, maybe the next time I apply for a job in Iraq or Afghanistan, they'll actually give me a call-back.

* * *

I just revisited an exceptionally painful memory from middle school... The kind that I'm only comfortable sharing with Mighty Mo.

* * *

Those who know me personally will know that I'm notoriously frugal - so frugal that I didn't use the air conditioning at Zoo Station the entire time that I was in that house, and I haven't once used the heat in any house I've lived in since leaving Hometown in April of '06. To put it another way, by the time I'd been at Zoo Station for six months, I'd saved up enough money, cash, to buy the most expensive closure ever. That's right, ladies and gentlemen: when I want to be, I'm that guy.

One of the other things I want to accomplish while I'm in Virginia is to save up a **** ton of money for various future projects. Imagine my shock, then, when I realized that I've been here nearly six months and I basically have yet to save up more than about eight hundred dollars. Completely unacceptable. On the other hand, I've had to completely start over upon arriving here, as all I was able to bring out of the Desert was the contents of the Locust Wind and its roof box - that's right, even my venerable Army cot had to be left behind. Now that I've reached a level of domestic settlement that I'm comfortable with, I hope to be able to start saving a bit more each month.

I'll also be boosted by taxes. Last year, I received a refund equaling pretty much the exact amount that I'd spent on that aforementioned closure. I need to dig out the pay stubs and do some calculations with respect to my last job, but if I calculated out my tax burden between what the Feds should be looking for, what the Californian savages should expect, and what the Virginians should expect, I think that I stand to get a refund of nearly twice what I got last year. That, friends, is very good news.

On a side note, it's ****ing cold here - and I like to take holidays in Wyoming in November, so you can guess how cold it must be for me to say it's cold.

* * *

I've run out of time for writing this morning, but I'll have a post ready for Monday, and I'll also post that long-awaited article (yeah, I know, you're snickering at your workstations) on Tuesday. In the mean time, enjoy this video.


Seize the weekend, folks. Seize the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home