27 December 2007

North Carolina: World's Biggest Swamp (Other Than Georgia)

Hey folks. This week has crazy - even for someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, it's pretty much impossible to escape from (unless, of course, one moves to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan - no thanks!). Just a couple of quick things.

First, following up on that BNL video from yesterday, I present a great clip from Friends: the Holiday Armadillo.


I went to see Charlie Wilson's War last night. From the look of it, I thought it was going to be a liberal propaganda fest, but Medved said it wasn't political and gave it a good rating, so I went to see it. There were hints of politics in it, particularly at the end (although, to be fair, that bit at the end is only political if people actually have any clue about history; for most, it would just be an indictment of American policy in general). Anyway, I'm making it out to be worse than it is. If you like Tom Hanks (which I do), or Julia Roberts (which I don't), or if you've ever even heard of Philip Seymour Hoffman (apparently he's been in numerous movies that I never saw), this is worth going to see.

For anyone who actually read my post from yesterday (translation: if you didn't read it yesterday, go read it now and come back), you'll remember that part of my 25th December involved getting "lost"* in North Carolina. It wasn't my fault, as some kids had apparently pushed over the street sign I was looking for. The interesting follow-up to that is this: apparently, at no time when I was "lost" was I any further than about ten or twelve miles from the international headquarters of Blackwater Worldwide. The folks who I was visiting down there told me that Blackwater's digs were in their back yard, but I had no clue it was that close - within about two miles. I didn't find out the proximity until I was getting my daily satellite map fix, but it's pretty convenient because I'd like to take a couple of their courses that are open to the public (like the Bushmaster Carbine Operator Course or the Pistol/Carbine course - even though the Bushmaster AR-15/M4 is an inferior system). This is within an hour drive of Van Dieman's Station, and now that I know where it is, that makes it all the more tangible to actually go and do one or two of these classes while I'm living here.

Even though it's too late for this information to do anyone any good as far as holiday gift shopping is concerned, it's worth noting that shemaghs make excellent gifts. I use mine all the time - though not in the way that's pictured. Just saying.

That's probably sufficient for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home