19 January 2008

Pictures Forthcoming - and News of the Whore!

It's been an interesting couple of days. I already posted my remarks about Thursday. Friday was every bit as interesting, and it's continued into Saturday. Highlights? I've got highlights for you.

I've spent a lot of time on the phone in the last couple of days with my adopted big sister, Mighty Mo. She's having a rough time, but years of living in a dysfunctional family have given her a pretty thick skin, and she's remarkably intelligent and has common sense - something that I can't say about half the people I went to college with. Anyway, she's kept a pretty good head on her shoulders for the most part, and though I know the really hard part is still ahead of her, I have no doubt that she's going to come out on the other side. Nobody wins in situations like this, but Mighty Mo has already shown herself in our conversations to be so extremely cunning as to make Gary Kasparov look like Sean Penn. In the same way that I'm proud of my support for Senator McCain, I'm glad to be on a winning ticket.

I had lunch yesterday with the youth pastor. I should probably come up with a Fly-esque name for him, and that name will be Hang Ten. (He's a surfer.) Anyway, at my first ever visit to a Chik-Fil-A restaurant, Hang Ten and I spent a solid three and a half hours killing time while his five year old daughter played on the indoor playground. Awesome.

Once I'd spent some time chatting with Mighty Mo on the phone, part of which occurred during a grocery run, I went back to the house and got ready for a long-awaited reunion dinner with Furious D. He and I moved to the southeast quadrant of Old Dominion at right around the same time, me alone, him with his wife and (now) two munchkins. That's been six months ago. Well, upon plugging his address into Mapquest, I learned that he and I have been living six miles driving distance from each other since July - it's even less as the crow flies! I'm a bit frustrated with this, given that it means we've been living less than five miles from one another for six months and it's taken us that long to scrape together a couple of hours for dinner. It's amazing, though, that purely by coincidence, we both ended up in this area at the same time and within the same basic area. What an outstanding accident! We spent a couple of hours at an outstanding Irish Pub where I'd been with the Crypto King, his wife, and her best friend a couple of times. Furious D and I are both big fans of Scottish and Irish heritage stuff, and Guinness in particular. It was truly brilliant to hang out with him, and we got a picture taken in front of the pub to send to our old commanding officer back in [Hometown].

One thing that surprised and frustrated me about my meeting with Furious D was finding out that one of the guys in our unit was severely injured in an incident overseas - the information I'm able to find on the web makes it unclear whether the incident was in Afghanistan or Iraq. The desktop of Furious D's computer was a picture of this young man meeting President Bush. I know for a fact that he's in good hands, because I also knew his wife, and she may just be tougher than him. One of the guys who'd left our unit by 2003 was killed in the initial invasion, and I don't know about any other incidents among people I've known. Any attempts to Google his name or find his picture end in me pulling up anti-war diatribe from people who obviously don't understand the kind of commitment that America's warriors make - or why. Honestly, part of the reason I've supported the war from the very beginning, throughout periods in which I had my own doubts, was because I refuse to believe that my shipmate who died in 2003, or this second shipmate who was injured so severely in 2007, died in vain for a good cause that we would just give up on because we got bored with it. Surrendering in Iraq is just that: abandoning a winnable and worthy endeavour out of boredom. That is unacceptable.

Moving on. Once I got back to the house last night, having realized while I was with Furious D that that memory card wasn't in my digital camera (a problem, I'd add, that you don't get with film), I was fairly upset. Between that and other issues this week (including that incident with my finger on Thursday), this was shaping up to be another failed week. Luckily, two things happened today that are making it truly outstanding. The second thing that happened was that I found the memory card, after looking through my house several times and my car two or three times.

What was the second thing? I talked to the Whore's sister on AIM and found out that she had to have surgery five weeks ago to remove a lump from one of her ovaries. (I'm not sure why they bothered, it's not as if she's planning on using them, ever.) I'm not a fan of the whore getting cancer or lumps or anything of the sort, partly because I wouldn't wish that kind of challenge on cancer, and partly because I've made it clear that I'd prefer that she get hit by a double-decker bus. So why is this such good news? Observe:

The Fly: Okay. Is your sister still up in London?
Mickey: no she is staying wit my mum still she recovers then she is going back
The Fly: So she's been staying with your mum for five or six weeks now?
Mickey: yer she is going back next week i think
The Fly: Wow. Six weeks of that would be better than Big Brother.
Mickey: yer thats y i havent been round all that much coz i cant stand her telling how to bring up my baby
The Fly: Haha, don't get me started. If there are three people on the planet who don't need to be giving parenting advice, it's your mother, your sister - and Britney Spears!
Mickey: lol

Why is this so damned entertaining to me? Because the Whore can't stand her mother. Many of the horrible choices that the Whore has made over the last several years, including the way she treated me both before and after we broke up, were because she was trying to make a conscious effort to be different than her mother. Instead, she's turned out exactly like her mother, except that where her mother erred in some ways, she's made the same mistakes in exactly the opposite way. The fact that the Whore not only has to deal with her mother for five or six weeks, but simultaneously has to rely on the woman who she essentially made every effort to escape from once she'd turned twenty, is so deliciously ironic as to have put me in a truly outstanding mood. In fact, between that and finding the temporarily absent memory card, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 2008 has shifted from "horrible" to "more than tolerable" for yours truly, the friendly neighborhood Super Fly.

I don't have the courage to post this video during the course of the week, but on the weekend it's probably safe. I was trolling YouTube today and came across this gem.



There are other items I could probably conjure up out of thin are, but I'm going to leave on this terribly happy note by once again reiterating that I'm in favor of the Whore being hit by a bus, in God's mercy - after spending six weeks in her mother's house! Ha! Have a great weekend, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home