09 January 2008

Quick and Dirty

No, the title of this post has nothing to do with Paris Hilton.

Just a couple of quick things. First off, I want to note how overjoyed I am with the results from New Hampshire last night. As I've mentioned before, I've thrown what little weight I have (relatively speaking) behind Senator McCain - who won last night against Governor Romney. I honestly think that Governor Romney's campaign is coming apart at the seams, due almost entirely to the fact that he's the only Republican candidate who's running negative adverts - not only negative adverts, but inaccurate ones. Would I still vote for him over Senators Clinton, Obama, and Edwards? Yes. Would I feel a little icky about it? Yes. Thus, I'm overjoyed that Senator McCain, who I've admired and respected for so long, pulled out the win.

Why else am I excited about New Hampshire? Because Senator Clinton won among Democrats. Why am I excited about that? Because I'd love to see the Democrats, all of whom I believe to be wrong for this country, stealing as much momentum from one another as possible. I think that a lot of Senator Obama's message is great: hope for the future and uniting Americans again, that's great. Unfortunately, Senator Obama has demonstrated himself to be completely liberal on essentially every policy (which I think is downright dangerous, particularly his demonstrated ignorance of foreign policy), and he has next to no real experience, with only three largely absent years in the Senate (the Illinois State Senate doesn't count as a credible presidential qualification in my book). I think that, had he won in both Iowa and New Hampshire, his momentum would have been formidable - and I think that Senator Clinton, though dangerous, would be easier to defeat in a general election. Thus, her win in New Hampshire gives her enough traction to keep going, and that's traction that she's taken from Senator Obama. That's good news for conservatives.

As a result of New Hampshire, if today goes well, I'm willing to declare that 2008 is improving.

Another item of note is my good friend Cheryl/Chazza's response to yesterday's post on intellectual weakness. I don't have time to properly address her points this morning, but I'll try to tap out a response this evening. The bottom line, though, is that I'm not so much questioning the theory of climate change itself - I'm a skeptic, but there's compelling evidence that's worth continued investigation - I'm questioning the overall willingness anymore to use questionable pseudo-science in order to promote policy changes. Many supporters of climate change activism often have motives unrelated to climate change, as Chazza notes in her comment. My position is that if those motives are legitimate in and of themselves (which I think several of her stated positions are, and I'll go into that later), they should be legitimate without what amounts to pseudo-scientific fearmongering. The big issue I was trying to address wasn't climate change itself - it was the nature of the discourse on the issue (or the lack thereof from people like Vice President Gore).

I went and saw National Treasure: Book of Secrets last night. Very entertaining, probably at least as much so as the first film. Also, Diane Kruger is hot - why she looked so unimpressive in Troy is beyond me.

I have more to say, but I'll save it for Friday. What? You want an obligatory link or a YouTube video or something? Okay, here's the first episode of Chad Vader: Day Shift Manager.


I bet that Mighty Mo will enjoy that one. Why? Because it makes fun of nerds. Oh, and speaking of making fun of nerds, one more thing: BAM!

Ugh. Need tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home