08 March 2008

Not Quite Finest Hour

I can hardly contain myself, because I can't wait until next weekend. I know what you're saying to yourself: "Next weekend? But Fly, it's as Sabat/Samstag/Samedi Saturday! Shouldn't you be excited for this weekend?" Indeed, I should be, and I am; but I'm really excited about next weekend, because by then I ought to be caught up on a number of things. I have a handful of administrative tasks that I need to get taken care of on Monday and Tuesday, I need to make a massive amount of Arabic flash cards (and catalogue them, along with all of the ones I have already), and I think there's some more. Why can't I do a lot of that this weekend? Because I have an article due tomorrow at noon. I think it's going to be about the connection between good environmental stewardship and its relation to national security. Read: nuclear power, baby!

For some reason, I was compelled this morning to look up the music video for a song that came out when I was in middle school. That led me to look up a couple of other songs - all of these being real one hit wonder songs that were never played once they'd dropped off the charts. And what kind of songs were they? R&B songs - that's right, early 1990's urban boy bands. When I was eleven or twelve years old, I didn't really understand or care about what the guys were singing about. Thirteen years later, looking at those videos for the songs I used to hear on the radio, it's really striking how dirty they were. I'm not talking about Boyz II Men or Brian McKnight, mind you; I'm talking about one hit wonders like Silk, Blackstreet, and H-Town. At any rate, the whole thing reminded me of a certain segment of a Chris Rock show that's extremely crass - reader/viewer discretion is advised.



And for those of you who don't know what "skeet" means... Do yourself a favor, don't look it up. It's just nasty.

The other big news is that I finally, finally, finally went on a good yomp yesterday evening. I found a park (pictured) that has a nice trail around a lake. It took me about thirty-five minutes to circumnavigate the lake, and I'd worked up a good sweat by the end of it. I have an initial workout plan drawn up, and assuming I continue the trend through the next week (easier now that I've actually established a location in which to yomp, yomps being the pivotal aspect of the initial phase of my physical training schedule), I'll put them into a table and post them here on the blog. And it's worth noting that my old ALICE Pack, which I've since replaced for operational use with an Arc'teryx Echo Pack, is a good pack for training yomps. Ultimately, I'd like to lose weight (I've put on between thirty or forty pounds since I graduated college) and get in shape for my next sojourn to Europe, whenever that may be. (2009? Please!?)

Right then, time to get ready and go get breakfast with The Artista. Have a great Saturday, folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home