07 June 2008

Intellectual Rat's Nest

A few different things today.

First off, I know he reads the blog from time to time, so in case this is one of those times: thank you, Big Red. I got a voicemail from my dad when I got off work yesterday. I called him, and found out that he's laid up in a hospital, a couple hundred miles away from home, because he ended up with a blood clot while he was on a road trip. Mainly, I'm glad that he actually went to a hospital and got it checked out, because that's not really our style. He's in the hospital out there for a few days, and as luck would have it, he's in the same city as Big Red. A quick call, and it was Big Red to the rescue. Big Red did me a favor and delivered some magazines and a book to Dad to keep him occupied. Dad has since been able to get a wifi signal at least once - God help us all - but hopefully he won't spend ALL of his time on there.

I had an awfully nice time last night with two friends who I've gotten to know, initially through work, and since then through social time outside work: Mrs. Mike Nelson, and The Fashionista. They're sisters. The Fashionista turned twenty-two (again), so we went out for dinner, desert, and mini golf. I hadn't been mini golfing in years; not usually a huge fan, but I guess the folks you go with are what make it really fun. Very nice.

I was just on Facebook a while ago, and saw that a girl who I went to high school with is in Damascus, studying Arabic. That's Damascus, Syria. Yeah, that's right: someone who I went to high school with is studying Arabic in a country that sponsors terrorism. If it were me, I'd go to Algeria, Tunisia, or maybe Dubai. Why am I not surprised that she's in Damascus? She's probably even pulling a Pelosi and wearing حجاب. For crying out loud. And I thought she was an ignorant brat when she was in high school. I guess a bachelor's degree in philosophy and a master's degree in religious studies from the University of Chicago (her) are no substitute for a bachelor's degree from a state school, common sense, and a real job (me).

I continue compiling links and working on my spy novels. Did you know that quite a few scenes in the Star Wars trilogy were shot in Tunisia, including the city of Tatouine? I'm not sure what action, if any, will take place in Tunisia, but the fact that there's cool stuff there certainly helps.

Save for the asinine federal shell game money, I've received all of the money I'm expecting from the government. My standard operating procedure over the last couple of years has been to live frugally, set myself up for a healthy refund, and then apply the funds to necessary expenditures. It's turned out to be a pretty good system so far. Now that I have my money, there are a handful of items I plan on purchasing. Nothing fancy, but there are a few items I need at the moment, mainly furniture. After running some numbers, I've pretty much decided that I'm going to try to move a bit closer to work. More on that as it develops.

Alright, folks, that's it for the time being. I hope everyone's having a great weekend; I know that Mighty Mo is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home